Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Emergency brake light

mikemrq
04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Have a '96 Contour, 4cyl. auto. My Emergency brake light comes on for no reason. It is very annoying at night because of the bright red light shining in my eyes. Is there a way to cut or disconnect the wire?

CL8
04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Have a '96 Contour, 4cyl. auto. My Emergency brake light comes on for no reason. It is very annoying at night because of the bright red light shining in my eyes. Is there a way to cut or disconnect the wire?
Have you checked your brake fluid level?
The light will come on when brake fluid is low

Scrapper
04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
let me ask you first have you had brakes worked on recently? if not check fluid in master cyl and if low add some see if it go's out. if it goes out i'd pull rear wheel's see if wheel cyl is leaking if you don't have rear dist on it. but if light go's out your master cyl could be leaking. so keep a eye on it for a couple 3 day's if you have to add. another thing is e-brake might be stuck on a little......good luck......

Airjer_
04-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I'll vote for low fluid as well. Unless it has a pedal (i don't remember) that is a little sloppy. If it does maybe it just needs a little adjustment to tighten things back up.

ricebike
05-01-2009, 12:03 AM
having the light go on, yes it means your fluid is low...

also means to have your brakes checked to see if you have any material left on the front brake pads, for example...

thinning brake pads will lower the fluid level in the master cylinder...

Add your comment to this topic!