Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 villager keeps throwing same codes

DOUGLASNC
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi again,Ikeep getting the same codes on this 99 villager with the 3.3 engine. Code # PO135 comes up twice, and code #PO325 comes up once each time i erase them and run the engine til hot.. Then when i shut the engine off and restart it the cel comes on again. I've replaced both the O2 sensers yet its not fixed.As i mentioned in another post, i did a timming belt replace and water pump. The engine lite started comming on when i finished the belt job.Van has 123000 miles on it so i figured you guys were right that the sensers were needing replacing. Would advancing or retarding the timming by turnning the distributor cause the engine lite and throw these codes? I did move it some after the belt job because it liked power until it was moved. I dont own a timming light, so i winged it until it seemed to idle smooth and crank good.Had distributor out inspecting coil and cam position senser, but marked rotor position and housing with a sharpie; and feel i got it back in correct.Engine seems to run real smooth and has good power now. And it starts easy also.Just those darn codes keep returnning.Any more ideas on what to do or look at would be very much appreciated. DOUGLAS:crying:

tempfixit
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
P0135 code definition is 02 Heater Circuit Bank 1, sensor 1.
P0325 Knock sensor bank 1

Go to the Online Factory Manual and look up the P0135 testing procedure to determine where the heater circuit problem exists. It has a detailed procedure for this code.

P0325 Knock Sensor Code- Do not replace the knock sensor as these very rarely fail, the code is normally set by a vibration in the engine.

You need to check the timing with a lite to see where it is at, you may be to far advanced causing the P0325 code. I believe the timing should be like 15 - 17* btc, but double check the manual for actual setting.

When you changed the timing belt did you set number 1 clyinder at top dead center before removing old belt?? I am thinking you may be 1 tooth off on timing belt, but that is my thought only lets hope not.

hiope this helps

DOUGLASNC
05-05-2009, 05:10 AM
If i am off a tooth, could i lift the distribitor up amd move it one tooth to make it right? Thats alot to tare down to re-check, but ill do it if needed. thought we had all marks lined up and crank was at TDC... THANKS AGAIN.

tempfixit
05-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Which 02 sensors did you change??

Go to the Online service manual and read the testing procedure for the code. Section EC page 195.

Clean the connectors with some contact cleaner and check for loose or bent pins.

I would get the 02 sensor problem taken care of first before you do any changing on the distributor and see if you can borrow a timing lite from someone to check timing.

I believe you have a open circuit in your sensor wiring that is causing a rich/lean mixture turning on your cel with the codes.

DOUGLASNC
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
problem found and fixed...first i want to thank you for all your advise.you were a big help in my troubleshooting and ive learned alot that i wouldnt have if not for this site. i googled o2 sensor code still comes up and while i read everything i could i learned that theres an o2 fuse in the fuse box by the steering wheel.it was the root of several others problem of reocerring o2 codes. so i checked mine and found it missing. replaced it and light hasnt come on since.this may help others that may not have thought to check out all fuses related to their problem.. again , thanks for being there when we needed you...douglas

superdesi
01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
problem found and fixed...first i want to thank you for all your advise.you were a big help in my troubleshooting and ive learned alot that i wouldnt have if not for this site. i googled o2 sensor code still comes up and while i read everything i could i learned that theres an o2 fuse in the fuse box by the steering wheel.it was the root of several others problem of reocerring o2 codes. so i checked mine and found it missing. replaced it and light hasnt come on since.this may help others that may not have thought to check out all fuses related to their problem.. again , thanks for being there when we needed you...douglas

Thanks for coming back and giving the update. Most people do not take the time to update once the problem gets fixed.

My FIL '99 Villager is getting the same codes all of a sudden.

Add your comment to this topic!