Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Regal Stalls - S/C - Lots of details - HELP

claimed4all
04-30-2009, 07:19 AM
I have a 2002 Regal GS with the 3800 Supercharged. The wife drives the car and I know what she tells me. The car stalled several times last week all right in a row and all pulling left hand corners. Has not did it since. Yesterday it stalled four times in a row, she put the car in reverse, backed out of her space and when she put it in the drive and took off it stalled. Started it up (it started fine) put it into drive and when she took off it stalled.

Other items.
She complains of a "Sticky Gas Pedal" if it sites for half a day. You push the pedal for the first time and you feel a heavy resistance, but one you push it hard, its fine.

When slowing down to a stop, the RPMs rest at a even thousand, then when you get slower (15mph) the RPMs will jump between 700 and 1100, usually twice, and then its settles at the idle RPM level.

Fuel Filter was just replaced.
First O2 Sensor was just replaced.

SES is one because of the followings:
Mass Air Flow Sensor - I have since cleaned it with MAFS cleaner.
Second O2 sensor in the line, which I beleive does not affect the "Closed Loop" system.

My first thoughts. Fuel pickup or tank related. Sediment or a loose baffle moves and blocks the fuel pickup.

BNaylor
04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Have you tried unplugging the MAF sensor and then see if it stalls? With ignition to OFF just undo the electrical connector and fire it up. Cleaning the MAF sensor doesn't always work. On the sticky accelerator try cleaning all the old carbon out of the throttle body and at the throttle butterfly plate. Use throttle body spray cleaner.

claimed4all
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Over the weekend I did replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the second O2 sensor in the system. I then cleaned out all of the carbon on the intake and butterfly valve with carb cleaner and while I had the intake off I took the time to spray the springs. Now it runs better than ever. No issues yet.

Add your comment to this topic!