Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Belt or Chain?

Joe Wilson
04-29-2009, 09:08 PM
A simple question...does a 2004 Cavalier 2.2 engine have a timing belt or timing chain? I've heard both. It is a double overhead cam engine and most do have belts but I've seen them with chains also (my Kawasaki ZRX) Thanks, Joe

Airjer_
04-29-2009, 10:43 PM
The Ecotec has a timing chain.

J-Ri
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
HAHA, LMAO on that edit :)

BTW, can I use Dextron VI ATF in a car that requires Dextron III? :naughty:

Classicrocjunkie
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
HAHA, LMAO on that edit :)

BTW, can I use Dextron VI ATF in a car that requires Dextron III? :naughty:

NOOOO!!!! Do not use anything BUT DEX III ATF especially if your putting it into a Getrag which I am going to assume you are.

J-Ri
04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Just a joke, as there is no "T" in Dexron :wink: You know I wouldn't break the hijacking rule! Although the GM service manual suggests using Dex VI where III is specified for A/Ts. It's basically just a synthetic Dex-III... molecules are more uniform, have better shear/crush strength, and I believe they say it lasts longer. But not twice as long, but it costs twice as much.

The big question is how prevalent Dexron-VI will become in the service fill market, which trumps factory fill volumes. The fluid will become GM’s recommendation for service fill on all cars and light trucks, although not in time for owners manuals of some model year 2006 vehicles. Moreover, the automaker is already recommending Dexron-VI for service fill in existing vehicles, noting its compatibility with transmissions built before model year 2006. To encourage the switch, the company will cease to issue Dexron-III(H) licenses at the end of 2005, meaning all such licenses will expire by the end of 2006.

Joe Wilson
04-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the answer Airjer...it's kinda a relief that it doesn't have a belt.

Add your comment to this topic!