Can I access/replace the fuel pump from inside the van?

HighMileage230000
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
1997 Windstar 3.8L V6, 249,000 miles, almost 110% that it is the fuel pump now (won't start after tapping fuel tank any longer, no pressure at schraeder valve, no sound coming from fuel pump/charging the system)

I know some vehicles make it accessible to replace the fuel pump from access panels or whatever they are called. Has anyone ever replaced their pump from the cabin of the vehicle, as opposed to dropping the tank and doing it that way?

rhandwor
04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Its been done but it will hurt resale value. Use a punch and drive a hole through the floor from the bottom. People have cut off a fuel line using a saws all. Use tin snips and cut an appx. 6x6 inch hole. When done use a piece of flashing material and short self tapping metal screws. Use silicon caulk on the joint. pull the carpet back before starting. You can purchase thin aluminum bar stock for the sides Lowe's or Home Depot. Cover with a piece of carpet.

12Ounce
04-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Its been done but it will hurt resale value.

I've considered trying this trap-door idea ... kinda wish I had now that my "replaced" pump has a few years and over 100k miles on it. But it would take some skill/craft to make a removable access panel that would not be noticable. Never thought about something being able to hurt Windstar's resale value.

Airjer_
04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Depending on how much fuel is in the tank they really are not that hard to drop!

12Ounce
04-30-2009, 07:51 AM
...... they really are not that hard to drop!

Interesting! I obviously don't know how to do it the right way. Do you have a service station stall, with hydraulic lift, to work in? Any problem loosening the tank straps from the vehicle frame?

Airjer_
04-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I've done many that where entirely more difficult on my back with nothing more than hand tools and a floor jack.

HighMileage230000
04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
After thinking over the possibilities of sawing off a fuel line or poking a hole in the tank trying to punch a hole in the floor board, I am going to have to concede and drop the tank the old-fashioned way.:rofl:

I am also curious how invovled this repair is, I have seen walkthroughs and diagrams, but still haven't gotten that great of an idea of what I'm going to get into once the tank comes off. Is it hard to get the lock ring off and the sending unit out, etc.? Any help here is greatly appreciated.:)

12Ounce
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
The lock-ring has right-hand threads ... comes off pretty easily. You'll have to find just the right angle to extract the pump/sender unit out of the tank ... but there are no secrets, ...just work.

Add your comment to this topic!