Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Bravada (AGAIN)

mudslinger88
04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey ya'll. I'm back again with a crazy problem. I've started to notice a clunk or a metal on metal type of sound from the transmission when it's down shifting to second. It also makes a heavy clunk when I shift into Reverse. If I shift from reverse to drive fast is clunks. If I shift it to nuetral and let it sit for a second then put in drive it doesn't make any noise. I know it sounds crazy. There are no codes on it with the exception of the Po140, but I know what that is already. It has 102,xxx on it. I'm just hoping that it isn't going to require any major maintenance. I have a transmission and transfer case flush scheduled but I hope it lasts until then. Anybody ever heard of this? Thanks for any help. It is all appreciated.

Josh Smith
04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Simple things first: Check the U-Joints and CV joints.

mudslinger88
04-29-2009, 03:01 AM
Sounds good. I appreciate it. But just so I get it right, what exactly do I look for? Is there a posibility of the trans or t-case mounts being loose causing the sound? I had a motor mount on my 79 Ford that was broke that caused the differential to slip in reverse. Sorry to ask so many questiond but I just want to keep my bravy running. Again, thanks.

djd99
04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Most likely you have 1 of 2 things going on here, First I would check both your u-joints witch are located at each end of your driveshaft, what you do is rotate your driveshaft back and forth and check for slop, this could very well be your clunk if they are sloppy. Also there is a possibility your sunshell gear in your tranny is going out witch is worst case scenario. This was my problem at 80,000 miles, I would here a clunk whenever I would make a left or right turn or whenever I would take my foot off the gas and also put it in gear, I had my tranny rebuilt with a new heavy duty sunshell and put it in myself for a whopping 1,000 bucks.... I don't think your cv shafts would make this kind of sound with what your describing.

old_master
04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Rear wheels must be off the ground and the trans in neutral to check U joints, (engine off). There should not be any slop, radial or axial, between the driveshaft and the yokes.

mudslinger88
04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the info. It sounds like it is coming from directly under me. I haven't had any problems with it up shifting. In fact it's smooth and defined as it should be in this vehicle, from what I've read in other posts. It only happens from 3rd to 2nd. And occasianally when shifting between R and OD. I'm really hoping it isn't the sunshell gear, or 'The Beast' as I've been told it's called. I will check for play in the driveshaft and post back. Thank you all for the great help. Also, is it a good idea to go ahead with the flush or would it cause problems?

b1lk1
04-30-2009, 10:07 AM
My truck does this and I know for certain my transfer case chain has seen better days and the rear end has slop in it. Sounds like yours seem to come from underneath me as well but you gotta remember that these sounds are transmitted through the body structure like a speaker so the sounds could really be coming from anywhere.

mudslinger88
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Well ya'll, it's official. I have no Reverse, 1st, or 3rd gears. The worst has happened. I'm getting it rebuilt right now though. I did check for slop in both drive-shafts and there was none at all either forward and back or side to side. It's setting me back about $700 for a complete rebuild with the beefed up sun-shell gear, or The Beast. I will let you all know how it works. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Add your comment to this topic!