Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

amp not coming out of protection

abiehl88
04-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Amp is not coming out of protection...i hook it all up 2 days ago, it worked for 30 seconds than i turned the car off and arranged everything and put everything back together.....started car 10 minutes later....when for a 10 minute ride (worked fine).....got back in to come home, half way back it shut off and went into protection....after it sits a while it might come out of protection but if you turn the volume up alittle it will click and go back into protection....it last came out of protection last night....turned it up(went off)....ever since then it's been in protection (almost 24 hours).

i just hooked up a Boss 3600 watts Max, and a Pioneer Premire 3500 watt max(1000 rms)....the amp has only one output on it for one sub....and the amp is 1 ohm stable....the sub is wired as 1 ohm.......anyways.....

i hooked them up in a 06 equinox with the stock radio still in it(so i used a line out converter)...but the line out converter is only hooked up to one stock speaker because their is only one stock speaker in the far back.

i hooked up the wires as said, but not sure if it's for 2 subs to be hooked up or not (cause i'm only hooking up one).....but the wires coming out of the line out converter are....
RED = hook up to 12+ on the amp
Blue = hook up to remote wire control on the amp
Green = hook up to + wire line on the car's stock first speaker
Grey = hook up to + wire line on the cat's stock second speaker(which i just hooked up to same wire as green
Grey w/ black stipe = hook up to - wire line on the car's stock first speaker
Green w/ black stripe = hook up to - wire line on the car's stock second speaker (which i hook up to the same as grey w/ black stripe)
Purple = hook up to green w/ black stripe (this one is just to get a 12+ volt for the remote turn on to work on amp)

did this all.....hooked up rca cables to amp and other side to line out converter...

power cable to battery and amp (w/ breaker) is good

ground is good

can anyone firgure this one out, or help, thanks

PaulD
04-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Amps go into protect because:

1) The speaker load is too low
2) DC offset in the output
3) short on the power wire or in the power supply

how do you have the gain or sensitivity set ? The LOC may be overdriving the inputs

abiehl88
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
[quote=PaulD;5962679]Amps go into protect because:

1) The speaker load is too low
2) DC offset in the output
3) short on the power wire or in the power supply

i moved the ground wire to a different location and now the system works great...BESIDES....when you turn it up TOO loud...the amp will shut off/protection(i'm guessing, since i haven't really looked at it(the amp) physically when this happened yet) but anyways it would shut off....turn the car off...start the car back up right away and the amp would turn back on/out of protection.....now what would be the problem...the same? the gound was just bad before...had to move the wire.....it shouldn't matter how many wires are set at one ground bolt on th car would it? i have the ground from the amp, the ground from the cap, and the small tiny ground wire from the LOC(line out converter) all on the same bolt.

what is the meaning of the speaker load being too low?

how would the DC be offset?

gain is at 50% right now

i also have a Output control knob on my amp...how/what do i set that at? i have it at half way.
power supply should be fine now.

PaulD
05-01-2009, 06:23 PM
DC offset is when DC "leaks" into the outputs, that is when the AC "rides" on a DC signal. It will damage the amp and detroy the speakers in short order if left unattended.

Speaker ohm too low is when you have less ohms than the amp is rated for. Dual voice coil speakers can be wired to either twice or one half the load (impedance) of one of it's voice coils. Remember that the lower the impedance, the hader the load for the amp. Basically, if you cut the impedance in half you force the amp to deliver twice the power (if it's capable).

You may still have the amp and LOC gains too high. If you put too much input level into the amp, it will clip and try to draw too much power. What size of power and ground wires are you using ?

Add your comment to this topic!