Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

trip odometer weirdness

convt Cav
04-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Started the old girl this morning
I noticed that the trip odometer was flashin missing segmaent and just acting weird.
grounding issues? or what???

Thanks
J

J-Ri
04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
It sure could be a ground problem, I'd start checking there.

Dadcanfixit
06-17-2009, 01:56 PM
2004 Cavalier, the odometer digits light up very dim and hard to read. Anyone have this problem and know the fix?

I had problem with the defrost vents and had to take the dashboard apart to correct it. But once i put everything back the digital odometer is lit very dimly I did not remove the cluster at all during repairs to defroster. If i fool with the trip odometer knob the light goes out then comes back on dim.

J-Ri
06-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Welcome to AF! In the future, please start a new thread for a new problem.

Since it sounds like you know what you're doing, I'll assume the dimmer switch isn't turned down? It's possible that when you relocated that wiring harness you pulled on a ground wire. I'd pull the radio back out and wiggle the harness and see if the odometer comes back to full brightness. There may (I'm not too familiar with the RDS/class 2 radios, haven't had to work on one yet) be a dimmer wire that goes to the radio, if you somehow got power shorted to that dimmer wire (if it exists), that would probably cause everything to dim as if the headlights were on. Do you have a wiring diagram to confirm this?

Dadcanfixit
06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
The digital clock (LEDs)on the radio dims and brightens when I turn the headlights off and on, so that part is OK. The dimmer switch functions to dim the dash lights (bulbs) only, and that feature is working fine.

The only problem is that the digital (LEDs) mileage readings are so very dim you can hardly read them. To wiggle the radio wires would mean taking the top of the dashboard off again.

I figured Id try this forum first to see what kind of suggestions I get. Thanks for the reply.

Ed K
Buffalo

Add your comment to this topic!