Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 LS CD player volume will not turn up

tessonfire
04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
So I got to work today and the cd player was working fine and its the stock cd player btw. And I get into the car after work and my cd player volume is all the way down and it wont turn up at all. when I go to turn it up it reads like im changing the volume but the volume level doesnt move at all, it stays all the way down. What could the problem be?

I do have a broken clockspring but its been broken for about 2 months now and I havent had a problem until now, could that be the problem? or is it something else?

shorod
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Does the lack of volume work the same regardless of if you're using the volume knob on the radio or the button's on the steering wheel? Does the volume level indicator work from the steering wheel controls as well? Do other radio functions work from the steering wheel controls?

-Rod

Scrapper
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
the guy that ask if you can turn it up by steering wheel will it? if not do you have a remote for cd player? if not i would take it to circit city or a well known place and tell them you want est. to why it wont turn up. you should have a fuse on the wires that go to speakers so you wont blow them up. do you listen to it loud?

tessonfire
04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Does the lack of volume work the same regardless of if you're using the volume knob on the radio or the button's on the steering wheel? Does the volume level indicator work from the steering wheel controls as well? Do other radio functions work from the steering wheel controls?

-Rod
The volume controls on the steering wheel doesnt work at all, but they havent since the clockspring broke. The volume knob always worked up until now. when I turn the knob it'll pop up in the cd player and say "VOLUME" but the level indicator does not increase, it stays down completely. no sound comes out of the speakers at all, whether its on CD or AM/FM. its like its on "mute" but it isnt. It just wont increase in volume at all.

shorod
04-28-2009, 06:39 AM
There won't be any fuses on the speaker leads, any short circuit protection is typically built in to the hybrid amplifier ICs. I've never seen fused speaker leads in cars, stock or aftermarket. Home audio, yeah, I've seen it on vintage stuff, but newer equipment also incorporates the protection into the output stage.

I wonder if the the steering wheel volume down button is now shorting within the button pad cauing the volume to not be able to increase. The same clockspring is used for the button illumination as for the supply to the volume controls and other steering wheel audio controls. Please clarify, do any of the other audio controls work? Does the button illumination work? The buttons also provide their signals to the radio through the horn clockspring. Does the horn work? If the illumination and horn work but none of the other buttons, I would suspect that the steering wheel "Vol -" button may be stuck shorted.

The audio system should have a diagnostic mode. I don't have the service manual for the 2000 model year which I believe is different from the 2002. I've posted the steps for the 2002 below, it may be worth a try. Someone may have also posted the steps for the 2000, try searching the forum. A professional scan tool can also access the audio system if you can't find the self diagnostics.

Audio Unit Self-Diagnostic Mode
NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or the audio unit self-diagnostic mode, must be ON and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM). The audio unit self-diagnostic mode can only be entered while in the speaker walk-around test.

To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6.

The speaker walk-around test stops at each speaker and applies a different tone to each speaker for about 1-2 seconds. Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR, Subwoofer I, Subwoofer II except for Premium CDX6 no Subwoofer I, Subwoofer II will display.

The speaker walk-around test automatically continues and tests:

for speaker short. If a short is present, SPKR SHORT will be displayed.
for CD/DJ. The audio unit display will show NO DJ if not present.

The speaker walk-around test will end and the audio unit will return to its previous setting.
To enter the following audio unit self-diagnostic modes, press the preset button desired while in the speaker walk-around test. This will abort the speaker walk-around test and start the selected test.

The audio unit self-diagnostic mode has five tests available:

Preset button 1 = Audio internal/external SELF TEST. If SELF FAIL is displayed, press TUNE > to scroll view the DTCs stored. Refer to the audio unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. If the system is OK, SELF PASS is displayed.
Preset button 2 = View/Clear continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). NO DTCs is displayed if no DTCs are retrieved. If DTCs FOUND is displayed, press TUNE > button to view the DTCs retrieved. Refer to the audio unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. To clear all DTCs press the EJECT button. DTCs CLEAR will be displayed.
Preset button 3 = SIGNAL TEST. This test measures the average strength at the current tuner setting.
Preset button 4 = Software configuration level. This test queries each audio system controller for its software configuration level. SOFT LEVELS will be displayed upon completion of the query. Press TUNE > to scroll view the software configuration version level.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!