Page updated on 11-22-2017

liter issue?

Dave884x4
04-27-2009, 10:09 AM
i recently bought a 98 Tahoe 2 door 4 wheel drive, it has a new motor in it. It runs great, but I started getting lifter noise, so I changed the oil and noticed that the pickup tube had fallen into the pan from the oil pump. I still had oil pressure at this time, so I dropped the pan and checked the oil pump which was not damaged, inside or outside. I replaced the pickup and refilled it with oil, the noise went away but came back on the freeway shortly after, but will go away when driving on the side streets, any ideas, do I have a lifter trying to collapse, please give me some input. thank you.

iroc343
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Is it possible the pick up fell out again? Did you tack weld the pick up to the pump? The lifter noise was due to the fact you had insufficient oil pressure. The pump was cavitating. It's possible under accelleration the oil would run to the back of the pan and reach a level that would get to the pump, then as you brake the oil runs away and the pump cavitates.

Dave884x4
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
i can drain the oil again and check to see if it has fallen off again, but it only does it on the freeway now, when before it did it all the time.

Add your comment to this topic!