Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Tahoe -- brake/hazard/buzzer/etc fuse keeps blowing

galadriel
04-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey there.

I've had my '99 Tahoe something like a year and a half. It has a recurring problem: every so often I'll realize that the buzzer isn't going off (key in/door open, lights on, etc etc)--I sometimes realize this when I (sigh) leave my lights on overnight and drain the battery, but I'm also watching for it now.

Then I replace the fuse and everything's fine, until it blows again. But when this particular fuse is blown, I also lose my brake lights and my hazard lights, along other things. We have checked when the fuse is blown and I definitely do not have working brake lights. So this is a *problem* as well as a recurring irritation; and I don't have any indicator that the fuse is blown until I notice the missing buzzer.

I haven't been able to determine what's making the fuse blow, since I don't realize it's happened until later. Hubby thinks it might be related to towing a trailer.

Is there anything I can do to try to track this problem down? Any tests I can do to try to deliberately blow the fuse to see where the problem is?

Would it be safe to put in a larger fuse on that circuit?

Thanks a bunch.

777stickman
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Welcome to AF. DO NOT PUT A LARGER AMP FUSE IN. With someone holding the brake pedal down (brake lights on) wiggle and mess with the wiring at the trailer plug connector area. If, as your hubby says, it only blows the fuse while you are towing then there may be a problem on the trailer.

galadriel
04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Okay, I will not put a larger fuse in. I appreciate the advice.

Hubby is not operating from any more data than I am, he's just convinced it must be the trailer because he put in the wiring/lights around the trailer with a kit, and he's paranoid that he did something wrong. (Poor hubby.) The last time, I'm sure the trailer hadn't been hooked up between replacing the fuse and the buzzer going out. Could the wiring to the trailer plug could be involved if the trailer hadn't been hooked up? I didn't think so, but I don't know.

We will give that "wiggling the wiring around the trailer plug" a shot, thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!