Antifreeze smell coming in through vents???

Laurieiniowa
04-25-2009, 01:08 PM
I have a 2001 Ford Windstar and the last few weeks off and on I have been smelling antifreeze. We have pulled over and looked for leaks on hoses and have found no leaks. The van is not overheating at all. I keep smelling it and when I turn the vent from cool to warmer it starts smelling more and blowing a whitish colored smoke through the vents. Any idea what this could be? I was thinking maybe it's the heater core leaking?? I have not noticed it leaking inside but have not really gotten down there to check. Thanks!

wiswind
04-25-2009, 04:52 PM
If you truely do have steam coming in.....with the antifreeze smell......it sure is sounding like a leaking heater core.

ChanTicO
05-03-2009, 03:56 AM
If you truely do have steam coming in.....with the antifreeze smell......it sure is sounding like a leaking heater core.

Agreed.

12Ounce
05-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Unless an cabin heater core burst or something, a typical small leakage will be managed and directed outside thru a provided plastic drain. You can find this drain, and the separate ac condensate drain; by getting underneath the car and looking up at the firewall. But its a bit difficult to find as there is a lot of stuff in that area.

Robdaparamedic
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a 2000 Windbag and the smell started with no visible leak. It progressed to a leak in the water pump bypass hose #1. This is the metal tube that you really can't see that runs under the upper manifold/plenum. It prgresses as small leak that drains on the driver side of engine. Eventually you will see more fluid on top of the lower manifold. This is an easy job but it will take about 4 hours of your time. (About $60)
Now it has been about 4 months since I replaced that pipe. Now I have another leak which is the pipe that connects to the water pump itself. I was trying to get it out of the water pump and the housing of the pump cracked. Now I have to change the pump also. NO FUN. :banghead::banghead:

Rob

Add your comment to this topic!