Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need some advice on buying a 98 Passat

tr10av
04-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey everyone I'm looking for your expert opinions on whether or not I should buy this car. It's a 98 Passat GLS with a little less than 100k miles on it. It's an auto with the 1.8L Turbo engine in it.I go to college in Miami so I need something that can take the weather and not overheat. Also I will be taking it on 4 or 5 2k mile trips a year home and back so I need something that will be reliable and last the next 2 or 3 years hopefully. So my main questions are gas mileage (which is extremely importatn) and reliability. So for $2 grand is this a good deal or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Link:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=Z2WL05Wflub9Pe9ioZFk0yd?tab= summary&paId=281447380&recnum=1&actLog=true&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_48_%7cB-4000%7cH-%7cN-N%7cR-50%7cI-1%2c7%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cX-popular%7cZ-33146&aff=national

Franco2112
04-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Tr10av,
As with all used vehicles no matter what the price there is a risk in buying it. I would first get some history on the vehicle via a Carfax. You don't want a flood vehicle!
Second take the vehicle to a mechanic and have him look it over for possible issues to be addressed asap. A $2000 vehicle may cost another $3 to $5 thousand to get running safely on the road. Lastly, VW's if you have never, ever owned one are a delicate vehicle and if not serviced regularly they're a headache to own. Hope this helps.
Franco

veedubmechanic
04-26-2009, 09:57 PM
make sure the timing belt and water pump and cam seals have been replaced (see paperwork). Make sure the cv joint boots and control arms and tie rods have been replaced.

SC2ner
04-27-2009, 07:56 AM
make sure the timing belt and water pump and cam seals have been replaced (see paperwork). Make sure the cv joint boots and control arms and tie rods have been replaced.

+ 1 million. If they have any service history about what kind of oil was used during the oil changes and what mileage interval it would be helpful. It should only be 5w40 fully synthetic. And it should be done every three thousand miles not five thousand. These cars are prone to sludge. Over all a decent car, but they must be taken care of.

Second, what he said ^^^^. Brilliant advice. Most people try to pawn there cars off when the t-belt is needed. It's a lot of work and costs money. Though it has to be done. So they rather just sell it. Don't buy a car you cannot afford to take care of.

Silverstone-Cold
02-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Get a detailed oil change history. People who didn't use the correct (synthetic) oil or didn't change it regularly (5000 miles) could have fouled up the engine with sludge from oil getting cooked by the turbo. Then when they find out they quickly sell it. Also document a timing belt and tensioner change or that will cost you close to $1000 before you can even use it. Failure to comply will cost you $3000 when the belt breaks.

They're great cars when they're cared for - like an Audi or BMW for cheap - but neglected they can be a headache.

My usual advise to a college student is to buy a Toyota Corrolla or similar.

Add your comment to this topic!