Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help picking speakers

ewenix
03-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Now that i have bass, i can see/hear how unable my factory speakers are at keeping up with my subwoofers. The bass just drowns them out badly. Si instead of spending the tons of money for a nice component set and amp and some nice coax 6x9's, im needing help picking some coax 6.5/6.75" speakers and some nice coax 6x9s just to run off the deck right now, until a decent amp can be bought to take the load off the deck. im thinking the Alpine Type R 6x9 2 ways but they are a bit more then i hoped to spend at 199 bucks. Im hoping for decent quality for around 150 dollars or so. Then some decent 6.5/6.75" for the doors. looking to spend around 100 dollars or so on these, brand doesnt really matter if they sound good, any help is much appreciated. I have tweeters covered for 40 bucks from the guy who installed my stereo equipment so i dont need to look for any of those.

Thanks,

ewenix

PaulD
03-30-2003, 04:09 AM
News Flash ....... that good pair of after market coaxials will be LESS efficient than the factory ones. That means they won't even be as loud with the pathetic power a typical head unit puts out - especially an OEM one.

ewenix
03-30-2003, 09:34 AM
my new pioneer deck cant put out enough power to make some coaxials sound good? i hope it can :| or im kinda screwed for the time being :(

i may have forgotten to list the deck also

with the subs and amp i bought i also got a Pioneer DEH-P7400MP

Rich
03-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ewenix
my new pioneer deck cant put out enough power to make some coaxials sound good?

Most 50 x 4 decks put out about 22wrms. Its not really enough to push a good set of speakers. Alot of people buy really good coax speakers, hook them to the HU, and then wonder why they dont sound that good, the HU simply doesnt put out enough power to get those speakers moving.

A bit crappier speakers would probably sound better hooked directly to the HU (if you have to go that route...), since they would probably be rated lower and would get "pushed" more by the 22w or so.

Now I know that probably wasnt very clear, but I hope you get the idea. :)

ewenix
03-31-2003, 01:34 AM
i know exactly what you mean, the RMS rating of my deck is 22w per channel i believe, so lets say i get a set of coax 6x9s with like 50w RMS and 200w peak or something, the deck could only push half of the RMS rating at any given time of the speakers therefore they wouldnt produce much sound, or it could try to draw to much power through the HU right?

so can you reccomend a set of speakers that could sound nice running off the HU for now? if they are even less then i plan to spend then i would just have that much more to spend later on when i get a decent say 4 channel amp and like a component set or something

PaulD
03-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ewenix
i know exactly what you mean, the RMS rating of my deck is 22w per channel i believe, so lets say i get a set of coax 6x9s with like 50w RMS and 200w peak or something, the deck could only push half of the RMS rating at any given time of the speakers therefore they wouldnt produce much sound, or it could try to draw to much power through the HU right?

well, it really doesn't work that way ........ one half power is only 3 dB down from full power. The way speakers draw too much power is NOT from their power ratings, but from when you wire them in parallel to lower the impedance.

Kerbie
04-23-2003, 11:23 PM
i am running some pioneer premier 3way 6x9s on my Alpine deck (couldn't be bothered to go outside for the model) and they sound just fine to me. I get enought bass coming through them that i feel it through the seat.
I recoment these speakers to anyone with a shallow pocket. although thier line-up has changed so i don't know the new model.

Add your comment to this topic!