1990 Dodge D150

skend
04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi,

I have recently had a problem starting this truck. It has started every time but it has required shifting from park to neutral and jiggling the shift lever and it is getting worse. I recently had the transmission rebuilt and I took the truck back to them and they made some adjustments and it worked great. Then it began getting difficult to start. When I turn the key it just clicks once. The battery is fine. I took the starter off and had it tested. It tested fine 3 for 3. It seems like it was more of a problem on cold mornings but recently it is difficult to start anytime. Any help would be great.

doctorheat
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Try replacing the neutral switch. I had the same thing with my truck, replaced that switch and has worked great for the past 3 years.

RT Jam
11-24-2009, 09:39 PM
If your problem is in Park and it starts in Neutral everytime. The problem is not the starter.

If it clicks but does not start. The problem is not the shift linkage or the neutral switch.

The clicking is the starter relay. If it clicks it's getting power and ground. The power comes from the start position on the ignition switch and the ground comes from the neutral switch.

This leaves the relay itself. It may be closing but not allowing high current to pass through it. It may be the battery cables, POS or NEG. Maybe their connections are poor.

Add your comment to this topic!