Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing Future...but keeping paint ?

Mainomega
03-29-2003, 10:32 PM
After messing up completly using Future once again. I want to know how i can remove that stuff. I brushed away what i thought was everything before it was fully dried but now there are chucks of it everywhere.

What can i use to remove this stuff, hopefully without removing the paint ? Am i correct to say that soaking the model in ammonia would work it right down to the plastic ?

thanks

Jonno
03-29-2003, 10:36 PM
What type of paint is it? Because if it is enamel paint, you might be able to use something that just removes Acrylic (future is Acrylic, right?)

Mainomega
03-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I used Tamiya Acrylics and you are correct about Future being acrylic. I think i just answered my question on whether or not i would be albe to save my paint job. :( :( :(

I've never striped paint, so is there a better way than using ammonia?

Thanks

Jonno
03-29-2003, 11:54 PM
I always strip paint with Brake fluid. Some people from the USA use Castrol Super clean.

Of course, wait and see of you can get the future off first before stripping the paint.

Veyron
03-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Ammonia would be the best thing for this job.:)

Diesel2NR
03-30-2003, 04:44 AM
Pure Ammonia will take Future right off. I've done it with Windex (with ammonia) too, but it took longer...at least it smelled better. The only thing that worres me is that you used acrylic paints under the Future and the ammonia might harm or strip them too. I'd go to Walmart, KMart, or other such store and get a gallon of Castrol Superclean Degreaser and a container large enough to submerge you model's body. Pick up some good chemical resistant gloves while you're there too. I use some that look like latex gloves, but they're actually rubber and have a chemical resistant quality to them. Pour enough CSC into the container to cover the body, submerge the body, and put the lid on the container. It should take 3 hours at most to strip the paint. Then, take an old toothbrush, get all of the paint off, with it, and then wash the body with a mild soap and warm water. USE YOUR GLOVES the whole time. This stuff attacks the oils in your skin, and it burns. Don't get it on yourself. HTH

Veyron
03-30-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by 94 Mustang GT
Pure Ammonia will take Future right off. I've done it with Windex (with ammonia) too, but it took longer...at least it smelled better. The only thing that worres me is that you used acrylic paints under the Future and the ammonia might harm or strip them too. I'd go to Walmart, KMart, or other such store and get a gallon of Castrol Superclean Degreaser and a container large enough to submerge you model's body. Pick up some good chemical resistant gloves while you're there too. I use some that look like latex gloves, but they're actually rubber and have a chemical resistant quality to them. Pour enough CSC into the container to cover the body, submerge the body, and put the lid on the container. It should take 3 hours at most to strip the paint. Then, take an old toothbrush, get all of the paint off, with it, and then wash the body with a mild soap and warm water. USE YOUR GLOVES the whole time. This stuff attacks the oils in your skin, and it burns. Don't get it on yourself. HTH

Good information! Ammonia will remove the acrylic paint under the Future, you will have to repaint this one.:)

crismag
03-30-2003, 07:37 PM
i have also messed up using future once. all i did was wet sand the bastard with 2000 grit sandpaper (lightly) it its gone :) it didnt harm my paint, i used laquer. i did it a couple of times until i achieved my desired finish with future :)

Sidewinder-03
03-31-2003, 04:21 PM
I used Orange Fresh multi-purpose cleaner from the dollar store. I sprayed it on, let it sit for about 10mins. and them scrub with an old tooth brush.It usually works in 2 applications but it really depends on how long it has had to dry. Let it sit for 20-30mins. for "old" future.

Add your comment to this topic!