Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dead Turn Signal

flashlight
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Recently my turn signal blinkers have died on my 94 geo metro 1.0L, manual transmission (both the front and rear). I checked all of the fuses underneath the dashboard and they all came out as working. What should I try or test next?:runaround:

idmetro
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
If all your signals have quit check your flasher, on my 92 convertible it is a black rectangular module that plugs into the backside of the fuse block.

flashlight
04-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Do you have a picture of it that you could post on this site? I checked under the dash and was unable to find what you described. And the manuals that I checked in were not real descriptive on it.

idmetro
04-25-2009, 06:37 AM
I don't have a picture on hand and can't seem to locate one online. Like you I found the manuals to be less than helpful. What you are looking for is actually on the backside of the fuse block.

Unless you posses xray vision, very tiny hands and the ability to bend in such a fashion that cirque du soleil would hire you on the spot you will need to remove the two 10mm bolts on the outside edges of the fuse block that hold it up in place, gently pull it down a bit and twist it slightly so you can get to the backside. There you will find a rectangular module about 2" tall and perhaps 1" square plugged into a socket on the backside of the fuse block (mine was black, I have also seen them silver), that is your flasher. Mine was difficult to unplug but it will come out.

You might consider going to the parts store and getting a new flasher before you start so you can see what you are looking for (the first one on the second page of this URL is very similar to what you are looking for http://www.grote.com/prodcat2/printcatfiles/Sec%20H_F&TS.pdf), they are in the $10-15 range and if it turns out you don't need it you can always return it. Do have the parts person look up the right one for your application, initially I was given the wrong one so even when i made the change it didn't fix the problem. So I suggest making the change and then testing to make sure it works before you bolt the fuse block back into position thinking you are done....

Alternatively you could go to the junkyard and rip apart a car there to see what you are looking for without risking damage to yours but the job is really not bad except for the close quarters and necessity to work sideways.

Both turn signals and emergency flashers are run through this single flasher (many older domestic vehicles had separate flashers for turn signals and emergency flashers, not so here) there are 3 legs or blades that plug into the fuse block.

Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!