Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 4.0 grand leaking oil pan gasket

johnson110
04-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi, I have an oil leak coming from the front of my oil pan looks like gasket slipped out a bit, how hard or is it possible to drop the oil pan and change the gasket without pulling the motor out of the jeep! Thanks for any replys!

ricebike
04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
dunno, clean the grime off 1st and verify if your front oil seal or just the pan seal is leaking... go from there...

online manual states that if you need more clearance, you can remove the engine mount and raise up the engine a bit to gain clearance

hard part is the exhaust system: you'll have to disconnect it to have access, so a can of pb blaster may help in this case

wrenchboss26
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
2wd piece of cake, 4wd requires alot more work to get the pan past front diff. unbolt motor mounts, raise engine, that sort of thing.

JeepForever
04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I solved this problem with cardboard on the floor of my garage. I recommend checking to be sure the leak is really from the pan gasket (which I agree can be a bit difficult to replace). A common source of leaks in the '94 GC is the oil filter mount (the housing that the oil filter attaches to). Since this is up higher on the engine, oil tends to run downward, along the pan, then onto the ground. If it is this oil filter mounting seal, it can be replaced by removing the housing with a large torx-head wrench and breaker-bar.

Let us know if you confirm it's the pan gasket.

Add your comment to this topic!