Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition harness

wtijr
04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
98 Regal LS

Intermittently the fan(interior) is not working at the non-max settings. Sometimes it doesn't immediately work at the max settings either. Searching the forum, I have found that this can be caused by a faulty Ignition harness. I called the Buick dealer to get price/availability information and he said the Ignition harness was about $1200. I thought I read in the forum that this part was about $45. He said there was an Ignition pigtail that was in the $50 price range. For this fan problem, do I just need the Ignition pigtail?

Thanks

capnrus789
04-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I had a similar problem with my 99 Regal LS, only 2 of the 5 speeds on the interior fan were working. It was OK until the fan motor blew. Turned out to be a resistor or a capacitor (I forget which) shoved somewhere up under the dash. The replacement part was cheap, but the labor to tear up the dash adn put it back together was brutal, ran me about $600 at the dealer. If this is your problem, and you don't mind taking apart your own dash, this coudl be a not too expensive solution.

BNaylor
04-23-2009, 05:43 AM
The ignition switch and harness is one piece. The part runs around $100 - $150 so the $1200 is in error.

Any other symptoms like blinking headlights/no DRL, no cruise control?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/switch_igntion.gif
Ignition Switch and Harness Assembly

wtijr
04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
As far as other symptoms, the rear window defog doesn't work when this problem is occurring. I haven't noticed anything else.

BNaylor
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Try the blower motor resistor if you have the manual climate control system. It that doesn't work then the ignition switch would be the next logical choice.

wtijr
04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
OK, I think I'm making some progress. In researching the location of the blower motor resistor, I found that water leaking in through the HVAC filter area can short out the resistor. It just so happens that I have water leaking into the car. I have been concurrently researching how to fix that problem. I need to remove the cowl below the windshield. I see a couple of plastic screw thingies about the size of a quarter and I am able to remove those. There are also some 'cap' looking thingies. Do they just pop off?

Thanks

BNaylor
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I recall one fastener is screw off and the other two is a push pin. So carefully pull out the center push pin and remove. Before starting the work take the wipers straight up.
It will make it easier to remove the plastic cowl section.

wtijr
04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Saturday I removed the cowl. The cabin air filter was disgusting. It was wet, and full of dirt. Fortunately it was dislodged so the blower motor was not trying to pull air through it. I replaced the filter and the bit of molding that redirects the water away from the filter opening. I used duct tape on the underside of the molding so it won't slip off again. There was a piece that I couldn't figure where it fit so I left it off. (it was the same width as the filter?) I'll check after the next rain to make sure water is not getting in.
The blower motor resistor is the next step. If anybody has a diagram/picture of its location, I would certainly appreciate seeing it.

Thanks

richtazz
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
The resistor is under the dash right next to the blower motor. Just follow the wires that plug into the motor and you'll find the resistor. It is mounted by 3 screws, the front screw has to come all the way out, the rear two just have to be loosened (they're a PITA to get to but the mounting holes in the resistor are slotted).

Add your comment to this topic!