Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

running rough- fuel filter/pump/system?

reeners81
04-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a 1999 rodeo. I'm guessing 3.2L. its a v6 4x4, with 100k miles.
I bought it in March of '08 at a BH-PH lot, with 90k miles. Ran great when I first bought it. About a month later, started having problems with it idling way to high, but only when it was in park. within two months, was driving down the road and lost all the bearings in my s-belt pulley- replaced pulley and the belt that it shredded when it locked up.

Other than the high idle when in park, wasnt having any other problems until two weeks ago. First my brakes went out unexpectedly... had absolutely no indication that they were deteriorating- no squeak/squeal, no slip, no light. All the sudden one day is started grinding horrendously on me. I took it in and it cost to me $500 (of which I had to borrow $100 until pay day) for all 4 new brake pads and rotors.

THE DAY AFTER I drop $500 to fix the brakes, my car starts acting up. It shakes, and acts like its choking out. Its worst when I first start it up, rides rough the first few minutes, acting like it wants to choke/stall out. Once its warmed up, it rides smoother when driving, but when stopped and idling it starts shaking a bit again and the check engine light flashes.

My dad bought one of those things that reads the codes from the computer, and I got several codes saying there was a misfire, its starved for fuel, something about the idle. Dad suggests a tune-up, and confirmed what my grandpa suspected, that I need either a fuel filter or pump or something to that effect.

I took it in this morning to Firestone and had a Plus tune-up.. which includes a regular tune-up plus having the fuel system cleaned- fuel injectors and fuel intake system. When I picked it up this evening, there was no change in the way it was running. They recommended having a diagnostic ran, for $79.99 of course @@

When I asked him to check how much it is to change the fuel filter, he couldnt find anything in the computer, which made him think the filter might be in the tank- a service they dont offer. Is this the case? I seem to have seen a couple articles on other sites stating issues with a fuel sensing unit often going bad. Is this something thats difficult to replace? Really tho, I dont THINK thats my problem, b/c most the articles cited issues with the fuel gauge- when its full, suddenly plummeting to empty, or jumping up and down, the fuel light flashing. I dont have any of those problems. I am THINKING its a clogged fuel filter, but I know nothing about cars really so I could be totally wrong.

My dad will do some repairs for me if I buy a manual, but wont touch anything inside the tank. Also, he doesnt WANT to do the repairs, he urged me to take it somewhere for the tune-up b/c he just didnt FEEL like being bothered with it. (VERY aggravating to me, I'm pretty broke and just wasted a crap load of money on labor today.) Any suggestions, PLEASE?

amigo-2k
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
you are in luck.... There are a bunch of folks here ready to help out!

First I would suggest you click on the link below in my sig line that says FAQs. There is a ton of info there.

The Fuel filter is located in the frame rail under the drivers door. Costs under 20 bucks for the filter at the dealer and takes 15-20 minutes to do it yourself (details are in that FAQ link).

I would also, suggest buying a can of carb cleaner. That CEL may be due to a dirty EGR/EGR tube. Again the how to is in the FAQ link (cost to do this 2-5 bucks for a can of carb cleaner and 30-40 minutes of your time).

Those two things "may" help, but the way you describe it, it sounds like a leaking intake manifold gasket (the fact that it seems to get better after it warms up means the crack is sealing itself up). There are instructions in the FAQ link cost under 50 bucks for the parts or the dealer charges about 350 to replace it. Super super common. I've had mine replaced 2x in 70k.

As for the CEL I would suggest purchasing a code reader (they go for as little as 50 bucks) or finding an autozone who will read the codes for FREE!

So read up on the FAQs and report back!

reeners81
04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for your input. Hopefully I can get my dad to make those repairs.

My dad did buy a code reader. I didnt have the paper he wrote the codes on with me when I first posted, but I just ran out to the car and got it. The codes were:
P0304 (this one came up twice)
P1441 (this one came up twice, too)
P0452

amigo-2k
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.troublecodes.net/isuzu/iszuobd2.shtml

above is a link for codes.

Your misfire could be due to one coil being in the wrong place. 5 coils are the same 1 is different. If the 1 that is different is not in on the 6 cly it will cause a misfire code.

also, you can get a misfire from a leaking intake manifold gasket.

reeners81
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks. I'll have my dad recheck to see if that code still comes up. I did JUST have the tune-up today... I'm ASSUMING firestone would've known about the different coil and putting it in the right place??

amigo-2k
04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
they were the ones who didn't know where the fuel filter was .....

reeners81
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
haha, I guess thats true... duh lol

FL 3.2L
04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Change the #4 coil.

stantony1
04-24-2009, 10:55 PM
THE DAY AFTER I drop $500 to fix the brakes, my car starts acting up. It shakes, and acts like its choking out. Its worst when I first start it up, rides rough the first few minutes, acting like it wants to choke/stall out. Once its warmed up, it rides smoother when driving, but when stopped and idling it starts shaking a bit again and the check engine light flashes.

This sounds like a engine gasket problem to me. Loss of vacuum in the engine due to the flimsy stock gasket caused high idle, sputtering, engine dies, and finally CEL. It's a cheap part but somewhat labor intensive. It cost me $300 at the time for a mechanic to take the old gasket out and put a new one in. As for which one, I think it was the manifold gasket.

Cat Fuzz
04-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Change the #4 coil.

I agree. If you want to confirm this, swap the number 4 coil with another cylinder, clear the codes and see if the code follows. For example, swap number four and number one. If the coil is defective the code will change to a p0301.

The other two codes could also be causing the rough running. p1442 EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge and p0452 EVAP System Pressure Sensor Input Low.

You need to check out your evap control solenoid and the evap pressure sensor.

I also need to take this opportunity to correct the information about the coils. 98 and 99 3.2L's have six identical coils. The different #6 coil is 2000 and up.

reeners81
04-27-2009, 08:49 AM
This sounds like a engine gasket problem to me. Loss of vacuum in the engine due to the flimsy stock gasket caused high idle, sputtering, engine dies, and finally CEL. It's a cheap part but somewhat labor intensive. It cost me $300 at the time for a mechanic to take the old gasket out and put a new one in. As for which one, I think it was the manifold gasket.

I dropped it off with a mechanic Friday. This is exactly what he said is wrong, he said I have a loss of vaccuum... he says this is causing every problem with my truck, from it running rough, to the brakes not wanting to work 100%, to it idling high. He quoted me $350 to fix, as he has to dismantle the top half of the engine to get to the manifold.

He couldnt finish Friday, and is closed over the weekend, so he's supposed to finish it today.

reeners81
04-27-2009, 08:51 AM
oh ya and I just want to add that I cant WAIT to get my truck back... I LOOOOVE my truck, and while my mom's 2003 car is nice and drives really well, (and I love the sunroof LOL) it feels SOOO weird driving a CAR, like I'm sitting on the ground or something LOL I want my truck!!

Cat Fuzz
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
oh ya and I just want to add that I cant WAIT to get my truck back... I LOOOOVE my truck, and while my mom's 2003 car is nice and drives really well, (and I love the sunroof LOL) it feels SOOO weird driving a CAR, like I'm sitting on the ground or something LOL I want my truck!!

I've had a 94 Rodeo for close to eight years and I liked it a lot. I've just recently gotten my 'new' 99 Rodeo going and I LOVE it. It's quieter, drives better, has a nicer sound system and looks really good with the bigger tires on it.

Add your comment to this topic!