Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 PA Not Running 124,000

derick1980
04-20-2009, 10:47 PM
1996 buick Park ave will turn over but not start. Losing power while it's cranking as if its a bad ground or something. I have replaced $1500 in part's including the plugs,wires,3fuel pumps,sending unit,fuel filter,fuel regulator,map sensor,ign module,3 coil packs,cam and cps sensors,harmonic pulley,idler pulley,fuel pump relay,battery. What could this be?? When the car was running the check engine would flash and the engine would bog on speed increases. I'm thinking I might need a ecm or maf but not sure and can't afford to drop any more money in her. Would a chipped crank position sensor cause these problems?? I did notice that the new sensor had some chips on the piece that sits in the teeth of the pulley. Any help would be great. I did run a fuel pressure test and was getting 40psi at the rail.

derick1980
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Any Idea's anyone?

Scrapper
04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
yes cps would cause it not to start because thats your timing your messing with. but the car should start and die when it wants too on maf unless it's screen is completly glogged in it. did you replace this all at one time that you put in parts? only other thing i 'd say is your computer i was going to say module but you got that on your list. ok are you getting any spark from coil pack? if not i'd go ahead and put a cps in it. like i say could be computer. but first check for spark out of coil pack. and if no spark try cps first......good luck......

HotZ28
04-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Was it doing this before you replaced the CKPS? Have you tried disconnecting the MAF? How are the battery cables, clean and tight? Have you had any other electrical problems before all this started? Sounds like the PCM, but check other things first. BTW, if you do get a PCM, look on Ebay first. I got one pre-programed 2-years ago with latest upgrades for 69-bucks + shipping & worked like a charm. Some guys in Indiana were the vendor, just do a search for "Buick PCM" on Ebay and you will find them. Good luck!

derick1980
04-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I bought a compression tester going to check that next. The driver's window goes down, all the others will not work. The trunk latch is broken and the anntenna stopped going down. Those are all the eletrical problems with the car other then the AC flashing when on. This guy that I had over that pulled my fuel pump said the fuel sending unit was wired backwards, which I found strange since it was replaced before and came pre wired already when I installed it. Tomorrow I will pull the MAF sensor and check that out. Basically think it is ECM, MAF, or that cps sensor is not working right because it was chipped by the old bent harmonic pulley. The battery cables are clean tho I did notice under the car there was alot of oil build up on the starter selnoid that maybe causing the pulse and lose of power during cranking.:disappoin

derick1980
05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
So the latest with this car is I hired a guy to check it out, He told me my starter was going and my battery is good and that I need a pcm (ecm). So took the starter off and had it tested turned out it was fine.. took the battery in and it turns out it had a bad cell. So now I have replaced the battery and picked up that pcm..they flashed it and I put my old knock sensor in it. Now I need to understand how to reporgram the passkey..There is a paper that says how to do this but it says to turn the key over crank it then leave key in on position for 10 mins and wait for the security light to flash 3 times and go out. The thing is it never comes on after 10 mins..It will come on briefly when putting the key in to try and start it flash and then go off right after that..When I try to start it I smell gas and the car does a little backfire choke. I'm still leaning towards the cps sensor. The guy I had working on the car tells me it's fine but he was wrong on the battery being good and the starter being bad. I just can't trust these mobile auto repair guy's anymore.

derick1980
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Got the new cps on, car starts now im getting a po301 01/02 flashing check engine code. Anyone know what this might be?? The car is bogging big time on take off. Would that be caused by the old gas sitting in the tank all this time? I checked spark plug on cylinder 5 it's clean and new and so are the wires etc..Any help would be great guys!!

ZiggyPA
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
P301: cylinder #1 misfire detected
P302: cylinder #2 misfire detected
so the codes would not be the cause of the problem, just the report.

derick1980
05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
it was actually a code po305 /01 /02 misfire on 5
i topped the tank off and added techron fuel treatment and added a quart of oil also needs a quart of tranny fluid. Now the idle is going up to 3200 rpms and not dropping down I think i may get a TPS sensor. This car is really pissing me off

derick1980
05-15-2009, 10:08 AM
UPDATE: The car is running great now that her legs have been streched..It's been about a year since it drove. I still have a few issues with the car that I need to resolve. The driverside power seats are not working + the trunk latch won't go down. and there was a carriage top that was glued on by the factory that I took off. How do I get that glue black stuff off without damaging the factory paint on the roof?? (Should I just sand prime and paint or scrap it with a razor scrapper) Also a issue with the A/C when the car start's the a/c temp is flashing and it blows out hot air for the first few mins...

maxwedge
05-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Ok and what fixed your issues?

derick1980
05-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I replaced the crank position sensor

jaimysessanna
05-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a 94 LeSabre with the Electronic Climate Control, which I believe that is what you have. I mean a Park Avenue has to have all the bells and whistles, right? Anyways when I changed my battery and the terminals were unhooked for a bit, it reset the computer in it and my Climate Control would blink and work all funky. It took about a week to stop doing that, after it stops it will work great. What is is blinking for means that it is learning. It takes about a week to re learn what to do right but just give it time. Mine did that in winter and it was one hell of a cold week.

C man
05-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Also the blinking could indicate a low charge. Mine did that for about a month and decided to go completely out when it was 102 degrees outside on a two hour trip. I felt the compressor self destructing but i didn't know it at the time or pay attention to the blinking since it stop blowing cold air of a period of time. Typically it will blow cold air out of one side and not so cold out the other side.

When I disconnect my battery and accidental leave the climate control on it doesn't blink. I just take it to the highest setting and then bring the temp setting down to the lowest and its ok. Also I have noticed that a lot of these compressors fail around 120-30k. So the compressor may be on its way out. Mine failed around 120k.

Add your comment to this topic!