Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery Polarity Reversed

pidster
04-20-2009, 07:00 AM
I have a 2007 chevrolet Aveo. This morning, the battery was dead and I put another battery in to try to start it, but reversed the polarity. Now the car sounds like it tries to start, but just won't catch. also, the fuel gauge doesn't work. Any idea where to start in determining the problem? I'm hoping its just a fuse (or several) and not more serious damage. Thanks.

MT-2500
04-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I have a 2007 chevrolet Aveo. This morning, the battery was dead and I put another battery in to try to start it, but reversed the polarity. Now the car sounds like it tries to start, but just won't catch. also, the fuel gauge doesn't work. Any idea where to start in determining the problem? I'm hoping its just a fuse (or several) and not more serious damage. Thanks.

Fuses and fuse links are a good start.
Check for spark and fuel pressure as in a no start flow chart.
Is engine now cranking over good.

pidster
04-20-2009, 09:25 AM
I'll try that when I get home later. what are the chances the brain is fried? I'm hoping that in a newer car there is some sort of safety mechanism to prevent total annihilation for a stupid mistake like this.

MT-2500
04-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll try that when I get home later. what are the chances the brain is fried? I'm hoping that in a newer car there is some sort of safety mechanism to prevent total annihilation for a stupid mistake like this.

There is no saftey on newer cars.
Just more computers and stuff it can fry.
It Can wipe out a couple grand in computer stuff.
Just Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!