Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GM Should Not Cut Buick

I.Like.Nice.Cars
04-19-2009, 03:55 PM
GM is making plans to divest itself of a good chunk of its brands, given the financial circumstances that they are in. This is good. It sounds like plans have already been made to get rid of Saturn, Saab and Hummer, which is an excellent start. I also think that GM should get rid of Pontiac and GMC too. Quite frankly, GM has way too many brands, and hence way too many overlapping vehicles that get lost in the fray because of this, and by cutting out the vast majority of their brands, GM will be able to get back on the right track.

There are vibes out there that GM could very well be planning on becoming like an Asian car maker in the sense of having only two brands: one mass market (Chevy) and one luxury (Cadillac) brand. I believe there is a lot of positive to be said for this.

However, GM should not cut Buick under any circumstance, especially in the North American market. GM needs Buick. Buick is consistently ranked as the best quality vehicle GM makes, and based on this alone it would be a hugely devastating mistake to axe Buick. Also, take a look at the 2010 Buick Lacrosse. The 2010 Lacrosse is proof positive that Buick is heading in the right direction. When I first saw the new Lacrosse, my reaction was WOW! I want one. And I’m only 31. I’m absolutely sure that there is a sizeable market that wants an affordable, nice, good quality and classy car (preferably domestic but definitely not as embarrassingly common as a Chevy or Ford). I should know as I fit into that market segment. And Buick fits the bill perfectly.

If Buick keeps on designing cars like the 2010 Lacrosse, as well as keeping their quality high (which I believe they will), they will have me (and a lot of other people, including young) as a loyal customer. Also consider this: my first car was from GM (2002 Olds Alero, bought new and still owned). If GM axes Buick, they will lose me as a customer for life. I will never buy another GM vehicle if Buick is sent into extinction. And because there are no other North American cars that I like, I will defect, very likely for life, to an Asian or European car maker.

karnovking
04-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I agree. THe new lacrosse is a very good looking vehicle. And I am mosty a honda guy.

The rear of the car is the best. The front is decent. If they put a rear like that on the current malibu, that would be awesome.

I think the rear of the malibu kills the whole car, it looks so cheap.

HotZ28
04-28-2009, 09:31 PM
If GM survives, they will keep Buick, Chevy & Cadillac! Pontiac just got the ax! Now that GM stands for "Government Motors" and CEO Obama calling all the punches, along with Al Gore, I think three wheel electric carts will probably be the focus of the design group. :crying::crying:
BTW, Obama loves his bicycle too!

jlm1
04-28-2009, 11:48 PM
The decision to cut Pontiac is about as stupid of an idea as could be!!!!
This decision doesn't surprise me considering that GM has made so many other stupid decisions in the past but it does baffle the S**T of me!

Pontiac has consistently sold more units then the Buick and Cadillac (Approx 100K or so more than Buick and about the same or so over Cadillac) and they decide to axe a prominent brand like Pontiac.....DUMB!!!
Pontiac has always been third or so in sales behind Chevy and GMC with the lackluster divisions coming up behind.

I have 3 Buicks and like them all, but deciding to close down Pontiac is STUPID to say the least!! They should have shut down something like Hummer first considering how "green" they are. As far as I'm concerned Buick could have gone by the way side and I wouldn't have thought a thing about it.

Considering the amount of money I spend on GM vehicles ( and truth be told I have always been a Pontiac guy at heart) I will never buy another
Piece of S**T GM product again because of their decision regarding Pontiac.
When they come back around again to ask for more money from the goverment I say SCREW THEM...LET THEM GO DOWN THE CRAPPER
THEY DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE FORD!!!!!

jaimysessanna
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I think Buick should make the LeSabre again. :tongue: And maybe a series IV 3800.

I'd probably be the only one to buy one. But I did love the 2000-2005 body styling. I mean am I the only one who likes the big huge cars that were sorta flat, but? I honestly think that people would buy them. I thought it was a huge mistake to kill the 3800. Does anyone agree with me on that?

I was watching some show on CSPAN where someone who was an analyst was talking to the GM executives and he was basically bitching to them saying you guys killed off many of your great engines, he mentioned the 350 and the 3.1 and the 3.8, he was saying how he thinks people want to know what's in their car and keep the things people know and love.

I don't know, to me Buick was always a LeSabre. I guess it's time for me to go out to my 94 and drive to Mighty Taco. :)

I.Like.Nice.Cars
05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey jlm1, where you out back taking a whizz when brains where being handed out??? Get rid of Buick? ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?!?!?

Actually, cutting Pontiac was a pretty smart idea. Sure, Pontiac was selling more units than either Cadillac and Buick, but Pontiac was LOSING money for GM, unlike Cadillac or Buick. If you ask me, putting an end to the losses is SMART, not dumb as you claim.

By the way, Pontiac is about the most lackluster car GM makes. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about Pontiac and don't miss them at all. I have to admit something here. I am rather enjoying watching all the moronic imbeciles whine that their crappy Pontiac brand is no more. Serves you right for liking stupid crappy junk.

Why is it that the crappier something is, the more people like it?

Add your comment to this topic!