Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 Jimmy Starter Problem

monk02
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
My problems first began when I have had intermittent starting issues within the last 2 or 3 weeks where I would turn the ignition key to start and it would be 'dead' with no 'cranking'. After trying 2 or 3 times from start to off and start again, it would engine would start as if nothing ever happened. At that time, I pulled a DTC of P0141.......but common sense tells that an O2 sensor would not cause a 'dead' start on a vehicle. So, yesterday I tried starting it and it completely dead on my driveway (lucky). I checked the battery (12.66v) and cleaned the terminals.

I'm thinking it is the starter relay since there is no clicking or cranking. I don't think it would be the starter coil since that wouldn't be intermittent as the problem started out.

Could it be the Park/Neutral switch located on the transmission or the actual ignition switch on the steering column ?

b1lk1
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
If it isn't the starter itself (GM starters are know to do this when they are getting tired of life) then I would suspect the ignition switch in the column. Usually the neutral safety switch just fails and doesn't cause problems intermittently.

monk02
05-10-2009, 08:17 PM
It looks like the problem is the solenoid and/or starter motor. I'm going to change out both next weekend. It looks hard to get at too.......fun !

UPDATE: It was the starter motor. The 2 bolts were so torqued on that I cracked the 11mm socket (Craftman) trying to loosen them. The solenoid terminals had to be accessed through the passenger side wheel well (tire had to be removed). Then it was a puzzle to drop the old motor between the frame and oil pan. There were no shims involved with mine. Total time involved was 3 1/2 hrs. with help from my brother. It would be harder to do as a one man job on this one.

Add your comment to this topic!