Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new 2005 Ion owner

tinysmoke
04-18-2009, 07:37 AM
I traded in my 2000 sl with 191k miles for an 05 Ion 1 with 34k miles.

The sl was a good car. Didn't even have power steering but got 41 to 43 mpg on the hiway. My 2 boys learned to drive a manual in that car. Also, may be the only car they ever drive without power steering.

The ion is a larger car with a larger engine and mine has a manual xmission. I expect to get a bit less mpg but was disappointed with my first tank of 35.6 mpg.

Has anyone else driven both the sl and the ion and can make an mpg comparison?

The only luxury that I would like to add is remote door locks. Has anyone made that addition in the aftermarket?

In looking thru the threads I see the ignition switch often mentioned. Are there any other repetitive problems with this model?

thanks

Randy

jettblaster
04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I drive my '07 about 100 miles a day almost all highway. On the days of the week I sit in a little traffic, I get 33 mpg consistently. No traffic 34 - 35. 35 if I keep the speed below 70. I have a 5 speed with MA emissions. I have a misfire at idle sometimes which I have yet to take to the stealership, but it is not effecting my mileage at all.

I have considered aftermarket remote door locks, but I can't justify the expense if it really just keeps me from having to turn a key.

tinysmoke
04-19-2009, 07:22 AM
I drive my '07 about 100 miles a day almost all highway. On the days of the week I sit in a little traffic, I get 33 mpg consistently. No traffic 34 - 35. 35 if I keep the speed below 70. I have a 5 speed with MA emissions. I have a misfire at idle sometimes which I have yet to take to the stealership, but it is not effecting my mileage at all.

I have considered aftermarket remote door locks, but I can't justify the expense if it really just keeps me from having to turn a key.

I filled up with my 2nd tank and got 35 mpg. My daily commute is about 95 mostly highway miles. Perhaps 34-36 will be my average. I have a friend that drives an 07 ion with auto transmission. His commute is about the same as mine. He says he gets about 32 mpg.

I load lunch, computer, briefcase in the back seat each day. That is the main reason I'm looking at remote locks. Haven't checked cost yet.

What kind of oil do you use in your ion?

Randy

jettblaster
04-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I still get my oil changes done at the Dealership. I have had warranty issues in the past at with other cars, so until the car is out of the 100K warranty, I will only get it serviced at the dealership. I know, I shouldn't do that, but they do wash it for me! I am not sure what oil they use, but I will ask when I am there next. I do not wait for my engine oil monitor to light up. According to my Onstar readings, that would not happen until 11,000 miles, so I usually do it around 6 to 7k. For the amount of miles I put on this car, I must admit, I am impressed.

tinysmoke
04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I still get my oil changes done at the Dealership. I have had warranty issues in the past at with other cars, so until the car is out of the 100K warranty, I will only get it serviced at the dealership. I know, I shouldn't do that, but they do wash it for me! I am not sure what oil they use, but I will ask when I am there next. I do not wait for my engine oil monitor to light up. According to my Onstar readings, that would not happen until 11,000 miles, so I usually do it around 6 to 7k. For the amount of miles I put on this car, I must admit, I am impressed.

I don't have an oil preference but my SL (190k miles) used about a quart every 1,000 miles or so. Probably would have used more but I had switched to a high mileage oil plus an additional oil additive at about 100k.

I will try synthetic or synthetic blend in the ion for awhile. But, have never noticed much, if any, difference with using a high cost oil.

Randy

tinysmoke
08-17-2009, 05:54 AM
I've had my 05 ion about 5 months now. If I drive somewhat close to the speed limit I get about 40mpg per tank. That is mostly highway miles through rolling hills. That is more than the mileage estimate and probably about as good as I can expect.

I changed the oil when the oil monitor light came on. Used synthetic oil and have about 6k miles on it. Don't know that I will let it go much further before changing even if the monitor doesn't go off.

Randy

Add your comment to this topic!