Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Firebird wil not run.

seanbreeze
04-18-2009, 07:16 AM
I have an 89 firebird that will not stay running. It will start and idle but when you put any throttle you give it any gas it stalls. The pump,filter,regulator,tps have all been replaced. All injectors are hot and have a good flash. The fule pressure is @ 45 psi when idling and holds when not running. I have tested all I can think of. Anyone have any advice where to look next? The check engine light is not on. The car remains running for as long as you do not give it any gas. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP please!:screwy:

wrightz28
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
The problem must be in your ignition system then.

CoolasIce
04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Is it that simple?
What about the throttle pos. sensor, or map or maf sensor?

seanbreeze
04-21-2009, 07:06 AM
I have also noticed that when I reattach the snorkel from the air cleaner it stalls as well. Could this be the mass air flow? If not where should I start in the ignition system? It has that factory security chip in the key. Thanks
Sean

Morley
04-22-2009, 12:42 AM
I have also noticed that when I reattach the snorkel from the air cleaner it stalls as well. Could this be the mass air flow? If not where should I start in the ignition system? It has that factory security chip in the key. Thanks
Sean

I'm going to guess that it is a TPI engine. try disconnecting the MAF sensor, then start the car and see how it does.
You say you replaced the TPS.. Did you set it properly?

seanbreeze
04-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm going to guess that it is a TPI engine. try disconnecting the MAF sensor, then start the car and see how it does.
You say you replaced the TPS.. Did you set it properly?
No change when I unhooked the MAF sensor. As far as the TPR being reset I am not sure. All of that was done before it was brought to me but it is only 3 weeks old. If I unhook the TPS no change as well but if I move the arm on the side of it then it syalls out as well!
Thanks for helping me with this monster!
Sean

Morley
04-23-2009, 12:11 AM
No change when I unhooked the MAF sensor. As far as the TPR being reset I am not sure. All of that was done before it was brought to me but it is only 3 weeks old. If I unhook the TPS no change as well but if I move the arm on the side of it then it syalls out as well!
Thanks for helping me with this monster!
Sean

If you move the arm on the TPS without moving the thrittle it will stall. The ECM is addng fuel because it thinks the throttle is opening and it isn't. Basically it floods the engine.

To set the TPS tou need a digital volt meter hooked to pins B & C od the connector with it hooked to the TPS. Then turn the key on and set the meter to DC volts. It should read .54V +/- .017v. To adjust it loosen the screws on it and move it to get the proper reading. then tighten them back down (carefully, they are aluminum screws) while watching the voltage.
If that does nothing for you, you could try a through throttlebody cleaning, including the IAC and its passages.

wrightz28
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
If not where should I start in the ignition system? It has that factory security chip in the key. Thanks
Sean

No no, by ignition system, I mean the engine's ignition system (spark).

Since you gave the entire fuel system an overhaul, when is the last time the plugs, wires and cap & rotor were replaced?

seanbreeze
04-24-2009, 06:57 AM
No no, by ignition system, I mean the engine's ignition system (spark).

Since you gave the entire fuel system an overhaul, when is the last time the plugs, wires and cap & rotor were replaced?

The tune up was done just after he bought the car about 3 weeks ago and I did that myself. The car ran great after that and the problem I am having happened all of the sudden.

seanbreeze
04-24-2009, 06:59 AM
If you move the arm on the TPS without moving the thrittle it will stall. The ECM is addng fuel because it thinks the throttle is opening and it isn't. Basically it floods the engine.

To set the TPS tou need a digital volt meter hooked to pins B & C od the connector with it hooked to the TPS. Then turn the key on and set the meter to DC volts. It should read .54V +/- .017v. To adjust it loosen the screws on it and move it to get the proper reading. then tighten them back down (carefully, they are aluminum screws) while watching the voltage.
If that does nothing for you, you could try a through throttlebody cleaning, including the IAC and its passages.
Thanks will give this a try....If I can find the diagram for the pins. If not I think a big hammer might help me fix her up ~Ώτ

Genopsyde
04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
when it actually is idling, does it idle nice and smooth? or is it rough and possibly running rich?

seanbreeze
04-25-2009, 06:28 AM
purrrrrs like a kitten till you hit the gas

Morley
04-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks will give this a try....If I can find the diagram for the pins. If not I think a big hammer might help me fix her up ~Ώτ
Should be the bottom and middle pins.

91 bird
04-27-2009, 02:54 AM
i had a problem like this, it turned out that the PCV system was cloged. prior owner dint know you had to do oil changes from time to time.

Add your comment to this topic!