Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission THUNK

yakko
04-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Buick Regal LS '02

This does not happen frequently. Probably only once every couple of days.

While driving normally, and this happens at different speeds, it seems my transmission SLAMS into gear. It does not seem to be happening on the same gear, but I have noticed it more on the last gear (around 50-60mph). It does not seem to jerk the whole car (as I have felt with other transmissions slamming), but is just a really loud metal POP. Like an M-80 going off in a can under the car.

I am going to get the transmission fluid replaced, but am worried I am in for a bad day very soon. Has anyone had an issue like this before, and did a fluid change help? or did the transmission eventually go out? or is there any little things that I can check that it might be? I know that saturns have a specific bolt that sometimes comes loose that causes transmission problems. I'm hoping that maybe there is something like this with buicks...yeah, here's hoping.

eccs19
04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
My 99 Regal every once in a blue moon makes a good bang when shifting at around 50-60 mph, but I don't think as often as what your mentioning. I've been driving it for years like that, and still going. Doesn't mean it's not going to drop out on me within the next month, but.....

Add your comment to this topic!