mx5

debejoman
04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
My unos has noisy tappets how can i cure them

CaseyJones797
07-10-2009, 05:46 AM
There is a way to adjust them, but it is not for the inexperienced nor the faint of heart. Miatas (at least the older ones) used shims under the tappet cups to set the lifter clearance. Old Jaguar six cylinder engines used the same setup and it can be a bear to get right.

I can't remember if you do all this while the engine is cold or operating temperature, but you measure the clearance between the tappets and the base of the cams on one cylinder. Remove the valve cover and check the clearance. Then you disassemble the cams from the engine (easy to take apart and more work to get it all back correctly) and determine which shims are already there for that cylinder. Figure out the difference between factory specs and what you have and then go to your local Mazda dealer and get enough shims in varying thicknesses to set the clearance for ALL the valves. You can take your current shims and mix them in with the new ones to get the best clearance settings. Once you get all that figured out and get it back together, reassemble the valve train, timing belt and remaining miscellaneous parts and start the car.

Or you can take it to a garage.:grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!