does it require premium gas???

rimfire,22
04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Hello to all,

I'm thinking about purchasing a current model Impala with the possibility of getting the SS model. According to Edmonds.com the 5.3 V-8 engine requires premium gasoline. Is this true or can I use regular most of the time safely and for more spirited driving/traveling use the premium??

Let me know all cuz depending on the gas requirements it'll determine what car to get. It appears to get a LTZ model is very scarce in the L.A. area.

rimfire,22

LordJezo
04-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Go ask here:
Link removed by Moderator. Linking to other forums requiring you to sign up is not allowed on AF. However if you have a specific thread or post from another forum that answers the original poster's question, then feel free to link to that, as long as it doesn't require one to sign up to review the contents.

Those guys are the Impala nuts.

richtazz
04-18-2009, 08:20 AM
According to the manufacturer, it requires premium fuel. This means you should always run it for optimum performance, economy and longevity. Many people take the chance and run 87 in vehicles that require 91 or higher but I've never understood why. The difference per fill-up is only about $3, and the real world savings are nil. The lower octane fuel increases the risk of knock, which in turn the PCM adjusts timing to compensate which lowers performance and fuel economy. As an example, my mother in law did this with her 04 Park Ave Ultra, and was getting 3-4 MPG less running 87 Vs 91. It ends up being a wash as far as fuel cost when you factor in the drop in mileage. Add to that the increased chance of engine damage due to pre-ignition when running the cheap fuel, and it just makes no sense to do it.

Mail Clerk
04-18-2009, 01:43 PM
richtazz,

Thank you for your reply. I almost gave up seeking an answer for my question.

On some vehicles it's only recommended to use the higher octane gas for better spirited performance but it runs fine on regular. Based on your reply I'm now betting on getting an Impala with the V-6 engine/3.9 liter if I can find one. 2LT and LTZ models in the L. A. area are practically nill here as I've been interneting various dealerships looking for either one. IF at the least I can get the LT model with the 3.5 liter model and be done with it although the 3.9 is more desireable too me. What I'm seeking is a car that can handle my city chores and take me traveling once or twice per year depending on how the economy is doing. When I had me V-6 Firebird it was fine in the city BUT during traveling to Vegas it was a little short on power when I needed it. I can't remember what size engine it was but I believe it was a 98' Firebird.

Thanks again,

rimfire,22

jtav2002
04-18-2009, 05:20 PM
The LS4 in the Impala SS does NOT require premium fuel. I've owned a 2007 since new. Personally I have always ran 92 or 93, however, per the manual, it is only RECOMMENDED. There is a big difference between being required, and being recommended. The car will run just fine on 87.

rimfire,22
04-19-2009, 12:43 AM
The LS4 in the Impala SS does NOT require premium fuel. I've owned a 2007 since new. Personally I have always ran 92 or 93, however, per the manual, it is only RECOMMENDED. There is a big difference between being required, and being recommended. The car will run just fine on 87.

jtav2002,

Thanks for your swift reply. If what you say is true then perhaps I have a chance to get one. Regardless it all depends on the insurance company. Since I'm over 50 maybe they'll regard the SS as a non sports car. Otherwise I'll lean towards at least an 2LT model if I can find one in the L.A. area. In lieu of the gas requirment I don't mind using regular most fo the time and topping off with premium to get ready for the first day of the work week. Besides that in Los Angeles area/region we only have 91 octane. I'm counting :2cents::2cents::2cents:'s hear.

rimfire,22

jtav2002
04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
No problem. And I'm positive that's what it is. Personally I don't know that I'd switch back and forth though, I'd stick with one type of fuel. I've had a buddy who's had a 2006 SS since brand new and has never used anything other than 87 in his, and his fuel economy doesn't seem to be much different than mine.

If anything is going to persuade you from getting an SS, it should be the fuel economy. I'd imagine there is alot of stop and go traffic. These cars get terrible city fuel economy. I typically get 12-14mpg's. They do fine on the highway I usually see 25-30 mpg's depending on how much I stay out of the go fast pedal.

As far as insurance, I can't really be much help there, since it will be apples and oranges. I'm 25 and live in Pennsylvania, not sure how rates differ, I'd imagine maybe yours are higher. I pay $1080 a year with a clean driving record.

Any questions, feel free to ask. You may also wish to check out the North American Impala Association's website. That will be your best online source for information on any Impala year 2000 or newer. Great group of very knowledgeable people there. I guess it's okay to post up the link since you don't have to join to read posts. It's www.naioa.com (http://www.naioa.com)

'97ventureowner
04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Any questions, feel free to ask. You may also wish to check out the North American Impala Association's website. That will be your best online source for information on any Impala year 2000 or newer. Great group of very knowledgeable people there. I guess it's okay to post up the link since you don't have to join to read posts. It's www.naioa.com (http://www.naioa.com)

Yes, posting the link is fine. The only issue is when a link takes a member to a forum where they need to register, or are taken to a registration page. It has been a long standing "rule" on AF.
I was surprised when you mentioned that the NAIOA was for 2000+ Impalas .I was confusing them with another club I was considering joining about 15 years ago(the National Impala Association) when I bought a 1964 Bel Air (which I still own:) ) This club, also has a site on the web ,http://www.nationalimpala.com/ , but their membership is limited to those who own these vehicles up to model year 1970. I had thought that maybe they recently changed the terms of their membership to include more members, but at the same time was wondering why they were leaving out model years 1971 to 1996. It's good to have a club like that where members can exchange ideas and info with one another.

rimfire,22
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Thank you all for your informative postings. For now I'm just slowly leisurely doing my home work before I make a final decision on eveything.

Currently here in L.A. it's much easier to get an SS model that seeking an LT, 2LT or even the LTZ models cuz their scarce here in the Los Angeles area it seems.

As far as the MPG is concern it's a toss up wether I can find an LTZ over the SS when the time comes unless I go looking for a slightly used version from Car Max. Either way if I do end up with an SS it would be because my insurance company will cut me some slack do to my good driving record. The LTZ and the SS models seems to have the so called V-8,6,4 of long ago might help my sitaution a bit.

Thanks again,

rimfire,22

jtav2002
04-19-2009, 05:36 PM
The cylinder deactivation is called Active Fuel Management. In city driving it's useless as it will never really kick down into 4 cyl mode (or 3 cyl on the 3.9L engine) but cruising on the highway it does seem to help. You can see 30mpg if you can keep it around 65mph on the SS.

And yea 97ventureowner, I can see how you could confuse the two. Over there we deal just with the w-body Impala's so that's why it's geared towards the 2000+ models. Although we do have quite a few members with other w-body vehicles, mainly Montes and some Grand Prix's.

rimfire,22
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
The cylinder deactivation is called Active Fuel Management. In city driving it's useless as it will never really kick down into 4 cyl mode (or 3 cyl on the 3.9L engine) but cruising on the highway it does seem to help. You can see 30mpg if you can keep it around 65mph on the SS.

And yea 97ventureowner, I can see how you could confuse the two. Over there we deal just with the w-body Impala's so that's why it's geared towards the 2000+ models. Although we do have quite a few members with other w-body vehicles, mainly Montes and some Grand Prix's.

jtav2002,

I have some experience with this type of engine. My old boss had a Cadillac V-8 that had the cylinder deactivation in it. On the freeway it would just dance up and down all day from 4,6,8 cylinders. If it's basically the same then in the city it would be in usage. On the highway doing around 70 on the open California road is another story. Still though it really depends on the insurance.

I'll give you guys a surprise in about 4-6 months :-)

rimfire,22

jtav2002
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
From my understanding the Active Fuel Management system used now is a little different (and more refined from what I hear) than the system that was originally used in those Cadillacs. The engines now only cut cylinder usage in half. So the V8 will only go down to 4cyl, and not into 6cyl, and the 6cyl engines will only go down to 3cyl usage when the AFM kicks in. It won't switch between, 8, 6, 4, etc.

As far as city, I didn't mean to imply it will never kick in, however it's not really going to save you any gas. In real city driving, sure it may kick down to 4cyl mode as your coasting to a stop at a traffic light. But the second you pull away or give it any substantial throttle it will go right back up to 8cyl mode. It's really only saving you gas when you're coasting on the highway and it can remain in 4cyl mode for an extended period of time. 90% of my driving is city/suburbs driving with lots of stop signs or traffic lights, and I only really see it kick in when im coasting to a stop. Naturally if there aren't any stop signs or anything and you can just cruise for awhile it will drop down to 4cyl mode. But with it constantly going and forth it makes virtually no difference, and why you will see lower to mid teens at best typically with city driving. Hell I routinely see 10mpg city during the winter when it's really cold.

On the highway though I can see up to 30mpg if you're on a flat road doing 65 or so. But the second you give it a little gas or need to pass it will kick back up to 8cyl. I think the system in place now makes for an operation that isn't switching back and forth as much. The computer looks at alot of variables on whether or not to engage it or not. In theory it seems to work okay, but I don't know that it's really making THAT much of a difference. The main reason I'm skeptical on how well these systems actually do work is the fact that many people who have had custom performance tunes done and remove the AFM altogether don't really see much of a decline in fuel economy. I wasn't really concerned with fuel economy that much. People usually don't buy 300+ hp cars if they're worried about that.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

rimfire,22
04-20-2009, 08:07 PM
jtay2002,

Yes, I'll just wait til I see what the insurance company says. I have money in hand but other things are hanging me up so I need to wait for a couple months and just begin to go by the numbers on the purchase. I'll let you guys know with in 6 months :-) Thank you all for your generous imputs. It was extremely informative.

rimfire,22

Add your comment to this topic!