Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no power to the fuel pump

dirtymazda
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
This is the first mazda truck i have ever owned. its a 92 b2600i 4x4 standard cab. what happened is when i bought it the guy didnt tell me about the gas tank leaking and i didnt see it when i bought it. it only had a quarter tank and it was leaking around the seam. so i bought a new tank and drove it home to put it in. i got everything switched over too the new tank and now im not gettin power to the fuel pump. i hotwired the pump and it works. but when i connect it to the plug it doesnt. ive checked it with a voltmeter and it says .5 volts at the plug. i dont think i couldve pulled a wire loose because i had plenty left over when the tank was almost out and there was no tension on it whatsoever. when we connect the fuel lines and try to start it will start but then shut off immeidiatly. if you have any ideas on what could be my problem it would be greatly appriciated. thanks for taking the time to look at my problem. i am lost when it comes to working on mazdas. ive owned chevys my entire life

oldgray
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
My mazda has a carb so I'm only guessing. Did you follow the wires to see if there's another wire harness farther down the line? Or maybe accidently blow the fuse? Good luck.

dirtymazda
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
mine is fuel injected and from what i could see it only has a relay inside the drivers kick panel by the clutch pedal. Ive checked all the fuses and they are all good. im goning to follow the wires tonite or this weekend sometime to be sure something isnt pinched or broken. i dont think i pulled anything but im gonna check just to be safe. i really dont know what else it could be other than the wiring.

dirtymazda
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
ok so the relay was bad. got a new one. then it started but would shut off immediately. took 3 weeks to find out what the problem was. MAKE SURE THE INTAKE TUBE IS ON!!!!! hahahaha im a dumbass sometimes

oldgray
04-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Glad to hear you figured it out! How did it go when you replaced the tank?

dirtymazda
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
it ran fine. the tank itself was actually easer to replace than i thought. althought the sending unit has seen better days, i still need to figure out why the fuel gauge wuit working on me. id rather deal with that and carry a can full of gas around than worry about leaking half a tank on the ground im goin to see what i can find this weekend since i have nothing to do and its supposed to rain all weekend.

Add your comment to this topic!