Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a/c why?

texasplaya
04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
my a/c has been blowing cold in my 2000 buick reagal now it blows cold on the pass side but the driver side is warmer what can be the problem and can i use those can from walmart or autozone were u can just hook it up and press the button to add some freon yes or no:loser:

brcidd
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Very typical low charge scenario- your system has leaked out more than half the specified refrigerant amount- the evap entrance cools first- which just happens to be the portion that feeds the passenger side- the exit feeds the driver's side- find and fix your leak and evacuate and recharge to factory spec-- number one leak location is compressor shaft seal followed closely by compressor belly (case halves) leaks.

I avoid anything with sealer in it--will do more harm than good- especially to a mechanics gages and recovery equipment...

RixRides
04-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree...the system is simply low and needs to be recharged. NEVER use the DIY stuff you can buy at Walmart and the like that contains sealer....it will clog your A/C system! Best to have the system checked for leaks by having a UV dye added, and then check for leaks with a black light. The condenser in my Regal has a small pin hole and leaks out every 2-3 years....by the end of last year it was not cooling on the drivers side, just the passenger (my imagination??), so she'll be re-charged in a month or so.....I'm just glad winter is OVER!!

Add your comment to this topic!