Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake problems

wvswede
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi guys,

I recently replaced my rear brakes on my 2004 Freestar. Took me awhile to figure out the twisting and pushing part and actually found it here on the forums.

Anyway I fully retracted the piston and put on the new pads bleed the brakes and hit the roads for a testdrive the guess what spongy brakes tried bleeding again and still the same result. Took it to a garage that I trust they bled the brakes aswell still spongy. I will press the pedal seems to grab but then slowly desends to the floor. If I quickly press the pedal twice I seem to have full brake force. The garage said sometimes they have seen ABS work itself into place over a few miles.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

wvswede
04-16-2009, 04:59 AM
UPDATE:
THe garage told me that it might work itself out with ABS. Well my wife took it for a drive and so did I, nothing still the same problem I had a fit and went out to the car and pumped like a "crazy man" first without the engine running and then with the engine running and guess what the pressure build up and took it for a spin and the brakes now works fine. so the answer is if it don't work use violence :) no it just seemed like I had to pump it it up more than I thought

s1120
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I bet the rear brakes were not adjusted right. The pads were probably a little far from the rotors giving you a long pedel travel. Using the parking brake should help get them adjusted closer also.

Add your comment to this topic!