Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low Budget need advice on a good car

thatJDMgirl
04-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm 18 and im going off to UNOH this august to study automotive & high performance technology.
I need a different car to go with me because my 2000 TL isn't going to make it much further (over 219,000 miles on the original engine and it needs a new transmission)
My budget is around $2700 and so far i've had no luck finding a decent car.
I'd prefer a manual tranny and a car that can be modified (i'll be modding it in classes) and still be reliable.
I'll only need the car to last 2 or 3 years because as a college graduation gift my parents are buying me a new car.
i'd like something small-like a 2dr civic- or something big-like a lifted ram.

If you have any good ideas,please let me know.
i need to buy it by mid-late june.
thanks! :)

LoseDevil
04-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Again, I'd like to recommend a mid 90's mustang for that price. Mod parts for them are dirt cheap and there are a ton on the market. Chances are one with a 5.0 motor could be had for around 3k or less ifyou find a good deal. Just expect some work and in the neighborhood of 150k miles.

thatJDMgirl
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
ive seen a couple decent 5.0's. ive also seen some nice 80's camaros and a nissan 280zx...and of course a dozen civics.
what's your view on those?
im usually an imports enthusiast, but right now domestics are sooo much cheaper

LoseDevil
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
ive seen a couple decent 5.0's. ive also seen some nice 80's camaros and a nissan 280zx...and of course a dozen civics.
what's your view on those?
im usually an imports enthusiast, but right now domestics are sooo much cheaper

Sorry, I'd go domestic every time, especially on the 5.0's. The amount of money needed to be spent on an older 4 cylinder to get it up to snuff power wise will be much more expensive than a few bolt-ons for a v8.

Add your comment to this topic!