Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump changed on 92 3.1

rogriffi62
04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Today!! Anything I should know before I test it out? How much gas should I put in the tank before running it (don't want to burn it up as soon as I turn the key)? I dropped the tank today and put the new pump and the strainer on it and reinstalled everything. When I took the old one out the pressure didn't even shoot out any gas when I relieved the using the shrader valve. Is that normal after sitting for a few days? Anyhow thanks for replying. Robert in Indiana

jsgold
04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Really should have 1/4 tank in it. The pressure at the valve should be 40 lbs. It will bleed off after car is off but should take some time to do so. The pressure should build quickly. The fuel pump relay will run the pump for 2 seconds then shut off if it detects engine not running.

rogriffi62
04-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll be heading to the gas station for about 5 trips with my 1 gallon can to get it past the 1/4 mark. At least the station is only a mile from here and I have other transportation to do it. I'll check pressure on it after getting the gas. I had to buy a fuel pressure tester and that is how I found out that the fuel pump was on it's way out.

rogriffi62
04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
It's done !! Went to the gas station 5 times to get a fallon each time and after doing that I turned it over once to charge the system then started it. Ran immediately! No more playing with the gas pedal to get it going and repeated cranking and playing to get it started. Thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!