Page updated on 11-22-2017

rough ride went raining.

jefferie1979
04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I have a 1999 tahoe 175000 mi. The other day I was driving in heavy rains and went thru lots a standing water at pretty high speeds splashing around and stuff for about a 100mi. On the last few miles it started running real rough I thought it was going to stall but never did. Here's the puzzler, next day I took it out and it ran fine no problems at all (sunny and nice out), same for the rest of the week. The first time it rained it started doing the same running horribly from a dead stop but it was only damp out no puddles. It's been doing this for a few weeks, everytime it's sunny runs like a champ, the minute there's even a cloud in the sky it does terribly. It did give me one code, missfire on cyl.8. I sprayed some moisture stuff on the plug and put that special grease on the wire boot and put it back on. Code went away but still runs bad on wet days, what else should I be doing?

MT-2500
04-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I have a 1999 tahoe 175000 mi. The other day I was driving in heavy rains and went thru lots a standing water at pretty high speeds splashing around and stuff for about a 100mi. On the last few miles it started running real rough I thought it was going to stall but never did. Here's the puzzler, next day I took it out and it ran fine no problems at all (sunny and nice out), same for the rest of the week. The first time it rained it started doing the same running horribly from a dead stop but it was only damp out no puddles. It's been doing this for a few weeks, everytime it's sunny runs like a champ, the minute there's even a cloud in the sky it does terribly. It did give me one code, missfire on cyl.8. I sprayed some moisture stuff on the plug and put that special grease on the wire boot and put it back on. Code went away but still runs bad on wet days, what else should I be doing?

Pull dist cap and ckeck for moisture /cracks.
Other places to check is all sensor plugins and wiring for moisture in them.

When it runs back does it have a =missfire code or engine miss?

jefferie1979
04-11-2009, 06:27 PM
of all the times it runs bad it never gives me a code. Only one time it said missfire code on #8. When I pull the cap should I also spray some water displacement fluid in there?

MT-2500
04-11-2009, 07:36 PM
of all the times it runs bad it never gives me a code. Only one time it said missfire code on #8. When I pull the cap should I also spray some water displacement fluid in there?

If any moisture in it replace it.

jefferie1979
05-01-2009, 05:53 PM
update on this problem: I replaced the distributor cap and button and noticed water on the point that makes contact with the button. I then noticed that one of the 2 ears that holds the cap on was broken. I'm sure that's why I had water in there but kinda bandaid fixed it by pasting some sillicone to hold the one side down and prevent water. My question is does anyone think this will work or will I have to replace the distributor itself or even some other tip as to what to do. thank you

toddman67
05-01-2009, 06:34 PM
A new re-man distributor at Advance auto part# 30-1829 is about $153.00. Or maybe your local salvage yard could get you one for less.

use zip ties to hold the cap down if you want a Cob job temporarily?

MT-2500
05-01-2009, 06:39 PM
update on this problem: I replaced the distributor cap and button and noticed water on the point that makes contact with the button. I then noticed that one of the 2 ears that holds the cap on was broken. I'm sure that's why I had water in there but kinda bandaid fixed it by pasting some sillicone to hold the one side down and prevent water. My question is does anyone think this will work or will I have to replace the distributor itself or even some other tip as to what to do. thank you

Best to replace the dist housing or dist.
Check with dealer and see if you can get just the plastic dist body any cheaper than the hole dist.
Or sometines if you are luckie just a little bigger bolt in the cap hole/ear will hold it down good.
Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!