Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.
out of ideas on starting my 95 conversion van
04-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I have a 95 conversion van and i have replacedthe ignition switch, Had the starter checked 3 times and it is fine. I have checked the continuity on the positive cable to the starter. I cross the posts on the starter and i get it to start. Just turning the key and i get absolutely nothing. The fuses are good, checked the continuity on ALL of them including the ones under the hood. Everyone i talk to are stumped and i have run out of ideas also PLEASE HELP !!!!
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Your neutral safety switch down on the transmission is probably shot.
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I tried to start the van in reverse and neutral and it still did nothing. I jimmy rigged it to the starter and i put a toggle switch in the cab directly to the posts of the starter because i needed the van running quickly to pick up my daughter but i dont know how to tell if the neutral safety switch is bad or not please inform me if you can..
04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
1. Disconnect the 3-wire connector at the switch on the tranny.
2. With an ohmmeter, check for continuity between the switch center terminal and ground on the transmission case. Continuity should exist only in PARK and NEUTRAL.
3. Set the parking brake and shift the transmission into REVERSE.
4. Check for continuity across the two outer switch terminals. It should exist only when the transmission is in REVERSE.
5. If the switch does not conform to these specifications, check gearshift linkage adjustment to ensure that the switch operating fingers are correctly positioned.
6. If the linkage appears to be okay, replace the switch.
Automotive Network, Inc., Copyright ©2013