Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Neon - How do I set timing for new belt

kart18
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I have a 1996 Dodge Neon 2.0 SOHC that was over heating. I told my daughter not to drive it until I could work on it and find and fix the problem. Well, we all know how kids are. She continued to drive it and it eventually it broke down. Now here’s what I have done. I found that the water pump bearing went bad and that is why it was over heating. This also caused the timing belt to break. I replaced the water pump and put a timing belt on it. I only have compression in two cylinders and it won’t start. I followed the instructions for installing the timing belt from the book. I think they may be wrong. What I need to know is how exactly to set the crank and cam before I install the timing belt. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to set the crank and cam and install the belt? Thank you in advance for any help!

Todd

evo-00
06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Neons have an interference motor meaning that when your timing belt breaks the valves hit the pistons and get bent. You need to pull the head and get a new one or have old one rebuilt.

tgrudzin
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I've been searching YouTube under Neon Timing belt. There are a few different one which will show you how to do it. But the previous poster is correct, you probably have a bent valve or two. You'll need to pull the cylinder head.

das2123
04-26-2011, 08:33 AM
I've been searching YouTube under Neon Timing belt. There are a few different one which will show you how to do it. But the previous poster is correct, you probably have a bent valve or two. You'll need to pull the cylinder head.
Did you realize the original post is almost 2 years old :runaround:

Add your comment to this topic!