Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 fiesta

Tiababy
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Got a problem with my steering unfortunatly. Its been coming on gradually last 3 days and got to the point today on the way home, where it was like i was fighting the steering lock.
The problem is when I'm driving straight ahead im fine and once i've turnt the steering wheel its fine but going from straight to turning left or right, it becomes very stiff almost to the point of me not being able to drive the car after a while.
I've checked tyre pressures and all are a-ok. I recently had the front drivers side suspension wishbone replaced back in the begining of march, its driven fine up until now.
Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem, am i locking at a fluid thats gone or does something now need replacing.

Btw in case its needed its a 1.0l 93/94 L reg fiesta (1119cc) no power steering in this model.
The fan belt can't be causing this problem, I'm aware it needs tightening but when it needed tightening in the past I didnt have this problem.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT
After reading some other posts on the forum, I figured it might just be the Universal joint seizing up on me. Took it to a garage and within an hour it was sorted. It was the universal joint that had seized up. Steering is back to normal now. Cost £50 to get it fixed, although tracking is now to the left so I'll have to get that sorted when I replace the tires later on next month.

denisond3
07-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks greatly for the info. Its good to know all about the unusual failure modes. AS cars get older, there are parts that only wear out after 15 years, or 20 or 30. Those are the ones that are hard to diagnose - since there isnt a 'history'.

Add your comment to this topic!