Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Sentra ECM Replacement, What to do?

devilkronic
04-08-2009, 01:30 AM
I've got a 2001 Sentra 2.0 with an ECM problem! I have finally bowed down to the dealership and am going to buy an ECM at about $600. No one else seems to have this part except the dealership. My questions, When replacing the ECM is there any reprogramming that needs to be done? And if so, what is the reprogramming that needs to be done and how to go about it? :screwy:

Chiquae07
04-12-2009, 12:39 PM
you just have to get the keys reprogrammed to the ecu. that is all.

ctwright
04-12-2009, 12:44 PM
That's a lot of money, first can you tell us exactly what it is that makes you certain it is the computer.

Seems like an 01 model you should be able to find one at a junkyard if you have to though, seems like someone would have totaled on by now.

Chiquae07
04-12-2009, 11:21 PM
^^it depends on what ecu he needed.

1. is it auto or manual?
2. does it have nvis?

thats the only things that make a difference on those.

devilkronic
04-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Well, I know that it's the ecm because I shorted it. The vehicle is a manual trans and I don't know what nvis is, so i'm presuming it doesn't have it. Can you tell me what nvis is? How do i go about reprogramming the keys to the new ecm?

ctwright
04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, I know that it's the ecm because I shorted it. The vehicle is a manual trans and I don't know what nvis is, so i'm presuming it doesn't have it. Can you tell me what nvis is? How do i go about reprogramming the keys to the new ecm?

You don't know what nvis is? Man everybody knows what nvis is where you been? Just kidding I haven't got the slightest clue either.

ctwright
04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok I just googled it, he is correct about that it's a security system thing, just google it like I did you will find a lot of info about it.

devilkronic
04-13-2009, 10:54 PM
In response to your question chiquae07 on the the NVIS on my vehicle; I believe is the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizing System and I think it has to do with the chip in the keys which I do have in this car. Long story short, it has a manual trans and yes it does have nvis. Thanx for your help CTWright. Any other assistance that anyone can provide on the previous questions?

Chiquae07
04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
nvis is the security system. you will have a flashing LED in the dash on the passengerside if thats the case.

when you swap the ecu's...drive the car up there, bring the car, all they will do is snap the old ecu out and the new one in, then program the keys to the new ecu. thats all it takes, nothing mroe nothing less. if i knew how to reprogram keys to it i would tell you, but i have no clue.

i will be having this type of fun with my keys and dealership this summer, as im swapping the trans from auto to manual. idk if i should believe them or not, but i was going to put the manual ecu in my auto and program the key to it, then get it shipped off to technosquare to raise the rev limiter for the new springs and retainers i have sitting by me as well.

Add your comment to this topic!