Page updated on 11-18-2017

coolant temp sensor

caw333
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm going to start a new thread off of my rewiring one. Her is what I've found so far. I've been doing some research and it lead me to the engine coolant temp sensor aka ECT. Some how the ECT affects timing also. My whole problem started one night of playing in the mud and while waiting on the guy behind me to pull me out I left the truck idleing in some water and the bottom of the fan was slinging water on the motor and this is where my prob started. Rough idleing and backfiring out the exhaust. After some research I figure my problem is the timing is advanced and has it running rich therefore causing the backfire. Sounds easy until you see how much stuff affects the timing. OK just a few mins ago I went and pulled the ECT and inside where the prongs are there is dirt and a small piece of grass in it. I can tell that dirty water had definitly got passed the rubber seal on the pigtail. I'm just going to by a new one tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. The only thing is there was no code being thrown for the ECT just the po341 CMP range or performance code. Just trying to get some thoughts on this sensor if any one knows if the coolant temp can cause this much of a problem and if water got passed the pigtail could it mess the sensor up or any thing else. Thanks

MT-2500
04-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm going to start a new thread off of my rewiring one. Her is what I've found so far. I've been doing some research and it lead me to the engine coolant temp sensor aka ECT. Some how the ECT affects timing also. My whole problem started one night of playing in the mud and while waiting on the guy behind me to pull me out I left the truck idleing in some water and the bottom of the fan was slinging water on the motor and this is where my prob started. Rough idleing and backfiring out the exhaust. After some research I figure my problem is the timing is advanced and has it running rich therefore causing the backfire. Sounds easy until you see how much stuff affects the timing. OK just a few mins ago I went and pulled the ECT and inside where the prongs are there is dirt and a small piece of grass in it. I can tell that dirty water had definitly got passed the rubber seal on the pigtail. I'm just going to by a new one tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. The only thing is there was no code being thrown for the ECT just the po341 CMP range or performance code. Just trying to get some thoughts on this sensor if any one knows if the coolant temp can cause this much of a problem and if water got passed the pigtail could it mess the sensor up or any thing else. Thanks

Your problems sounds like you drowned it.
Dry it out and see if it comes back to life.

Open hood and leave up in a good ventlated area.

Pull dist cap and blow and dry out.

After you get it started and running clear codes and see what comes back.

caw333
04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Well this happened back in NOV 2007 and I'm still chasing the problem. The ECT is the thing I"M on now. Its been 1 1/2 years and close to $2500 later and still trying to pin point what is causing my problem and throwing the single code of po341. The code is very vague and doesn't leave me or the two shop I had it in much to go on so its been alot of part and sensor changing. Right now I'm grasping at straws and trying to get an idea from any one who might know somthing I'm overlooking. Thanks

MT-2500
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Well this happened back in NOV 2007 and I'm still chasing the problem. The ECT is the thing I"M on now. Its been 1 1/2 years and close to $2500 later and still trying to pin point what is causing my problem and throwing the single code of po341. The code is very vague and doesn't leave me or the two shop I had it in much to go on so its been alot of part and sensor changing. Right now I'm grasping at straws and trying to get an idea from any one who might know somthing I'm overlooking. Thanks

Are you telling us you drowned it back way back in nov 0f 97 and 2500$ later and 2 repair shops later and now you think it is a engine coolant sensor?
When the only code you have is a 341 camshaft sensor CIRCUIT problem?

WHAT YEAR AND WHAT ENGINE?
Coolant sensors do not drown out.
Coolant sensor is not your problem.

Get some good repair info and find a good repair shop that knows what they are doing.

A factory repair manual or a Online All data sub thhat has the code repair flow charts will led you right threw the repair for the code 341.
For camshaft sensor circuit problem.
Where it was drownded check all wiring and plugins for corrosion.
Was that salt water or fresh water drowned?
If salt water you could be in a world of hurt.

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

Add your comment to this topic!