Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas line leak help

MiBuick
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I have a gas line leak at the back of my fuel filter that is located on the rear passenger side of my 96 lesabre just ahead of the tire. It looks like there is some kind of press on plastic fitting that attatches the fuel line to the fuel filter. It dosent always leak but if I wiggle it at all it pours out like crazy. My question is will I need a special wrench to work on this problem and is there an o-ring or something in there that can be replaced or will I need to replace the whole gas line? Please help !

imidazol97
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I have a gas line leak at the back of my fuel filter that is located on the rear passenger side of my 96 lesabre just ahead of the tire. It looks like there is some kind of press on plastic fitting that attatches the fuel line to the fuel filter. It dosent always leak but if I wiggle it at all it pours out like crazy. My question is will I need a special wrench to work on this problem and is there an o-ring or something in there that can be replaced or will I need to replace the whole gas line? Please help !

That's a snap on lline. I believe you squeeze the two clips to release the clip. The fuel line is pressurized even after the car is off so fuel will come out if you take it off. You're supposed to remove the fuse for the fuel pump and crank the car to use up the stored pressure before removing the connections.

big white bufflo
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
just squeez the white tab together and it will pull of sound like you need to replace that fitting you can pick them up at auto zone or most auto parts for 20 25 dollers

MiBuick
04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
ok, I have it apart, but it looks like the fitting is part of the plastic fuel line all in one?

Smith1000
04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I have had some leaky gas lines on our Lesabres. A new fuel filter will come with new gas line clips from what I recall. The auto parts store may sell the clips separately as well.-not for sure on that. If so, you might try replacing the clip to stop the leak. The clip may not stop the leak though. They make a new section of plastic line that can be spliced to the existing plastic line. The old line must be cut off and a metal fitting with clamps joins the new section to the old line. You have to cut the new piece down to the length needed. Dorman (I think) makes these.

On one of ours. I ended up using a section of high pressure gas line. I ran it from the tank to the filter. It was a pain to install where it attaches to the tank. Hopefully a new clip will fix it for you. Under the hood, on one of ours, I used the Dorman plastic line and spliced it in. This worked very well and would be the preferred method over a section of high pressure gas line as it can be joined to the existing line where it can be accessed more easily than the connection to the tank.

ricebike
04-07-2009, 11:46 PM
clips from motormite help section if you only need the white clips: hopefully it's just a bad retaining clip to your connection problem

dorman merged w/ motormite, i believe?!?

here's an advance auto parts site/ partsamerica site w/ replacement lines if the old connectors are shot:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/partlist_Fuel-Line-Connector_1252_R|GRPFUELAMS___

davdogg42
04-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Last year my gas line rusted out on my 97 Lesabre
I replaced the fuel filter and clips no luck
I ended up getting the metal line from the gas tank to the fuel filter replaced with a high pressure rubber line
wasn't to bad ( about 167.00 bucks) I had no problems since
I would not drive it if its leaking gas period

Jrs3800
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
You will be extremely hard pressed to even begin to replace the O rings inside the fitting...

Chances are from the description you need to replace the actually fitting.. You will have to have the proper tools to be able to make a leak free fitting..

The kits you but at the parts store require the tool to be able to insert the barb fitting in both the ends of the line.. Without this tool its a disaster to make it work..

Add your comment to this topic!