Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lots of stuff, help please

exocet
04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Ok, I posted a couple threads asking about ECU's and H22's and what not. Well i have established that my 1995 H22A is ran by a 94' Ecu of some kind. After extensive examination, the labels and identifying marks have been completely removed from it. But, i did find out that my ecu is chipped, I have no idea what it is tuned for or what settings have been made. I can tell you that my prelude has an unusually high idle(sits around 1300-1500) and redlines at something like 8500 or so. Im in the process of getting my ecu professionally inspected, to figure it out its tuning. But for now, it was suggested to me that i should get a VTEC Controller, so i can keep my chipped ECU(although it does not provide for the VTEC capability) My first question is, Is the idle and redline most likely a result of the tuning of the custom ECU? and secondly, do i need a VTEC compatible ECU in order to use an aftermarket electronic VTEC Controller?

H23A1Lude
04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Mann, You can just adjust your idle on the throttle body. And as for the chipped ECU, I don't know. But don't get a VTEC controller. My friend had one, and it sucked. All it did was make him waste gas because he hit it at a lower RPM, and then his redline changed by 1000RPM lower as well. The guys at Honda did a good job engineering VTEC to engage where it does. And your redline, if it's JDM H22A, is normal.

Add your comment to this topic!