Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bleed through, AHHHHH...

mvaneersel
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I got some serious bleed through on my current project, white paint over a brown kit. Searching here I found two possible solutions, a better primer as barrier and Future. With the Future, do you have to strip all the paint for it to work or can I just sand the current paint lightly, spray Future and then try again with white? Same question for the primer?

mrawl
04-06-2009, 01:10 AM
I think some people were trying Zinsser BIN (Home depot) - it's a real sealer, prime first, then the BIN then optionally prime again, though probably not necessary. No idea bout Future as a sealer, try it and let us know :) (or wait for someone who actually has a clue to answer)

Didymus
04-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Tamiya White Primer is a lot more dense than Tamiya Pure White. The Pure White, like many white paints, is practically translucent. Test the Tam primer first and make sure it covers the brown well enough.

Zinsser BIN is supposed to work very well, but check the label. I've heard it's very toxic stuff. You might need a respirator, which is actually a good idea with any spray paint.

Since Future is clear, I can't see it as a color barrier, but maybe it has magic properties that I don't know about. I've heard of it being used as a clear coat; I didn't even know you could paint on top of it. That could make a real mess; definitely get more info before trying it.

Ddms

MPWR
04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Any advice we could give you is nearly useless, until you tell us what you have done. What paint and what primer have you been using, and how have you been using them?

The more information you give, the more helpful answers will likely be.

Future is clear, I can't see it as a color barrier, but maybe it has magic properties that I don't know about.

I'll never understand why so many people want to attribute magical properties to Future. :dunno: "It's so cheap- it must have magic powers!!" :disappoin

klutz_100
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree with MPWR - you are a bit short on info to really help you out in a useful way. Help us help you :thumbsup:

I'll never understand why so many people want to attribute magical properties to Future. :dunno: "It's so cheap- it must have magic powers!!" :disappoin
Stop picking on the Future already :nono: ;)

I don't think you see that many people praising its glories. It's not magic and it's not the best for everything but it is something worth having in your collection of modelling supplies IMHO

Didymus
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think you see that many people praising its glories. It's not magic and it's not the best for everything but it is something worth having in your collection of modelling supplies IMHO

But...

Is it a really a barrier that prevents the color of the plastic from showing through a color coat? Can you really paint over it? Inquiring minds, etc.

Somebody ought to make up a little collection of classic questions that lack sufficient information:
"I painted my model and it got all funny looking. Did I use the wrong kind of paint?"

"I got some putty with a bunch of old modeling stuff. Where should I put it?"

"What's the best thing for (windows, chrome, tires, upholstery, motors)?"

"I want to build a model of one of those big old cars that you see. Is there a kit available?"
Ddms:grinyes:

jano11
04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
But...

Is it a really a barrier that prevents the color of the plastic from showing through a color coat? Can you really paint over it? Inquiring minds, etc.

Somebody ought to make up a little collection of classic questions that lack sufficient information: "I painted my model and it got all funny looking. Did I use the wrong kind of paint?"

"I got some putty with a bunch of old modeling stuff. Where should I put it?"

"What's the best thing for (windows, chrome, tires, upholstery, motors)?"

"I want to build a model of one of those big old cars that you see. Is there a kit available?"
Ddms:grinyes:

:rofl:

ChicoBR
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Here is my solution:

I paint my models with automotive paints and to avoid the bleeding through, what works to me is to apply a coat of silver (fine aluminum particles) on top of the primmer.
The silver is made of very fine aluminum particles and these particles act as a physical barrier to the plastic colour pigment showing up on top colours.

Francisco

Add your comment to this topic!