Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clunking noise from the drivers side rear brake

dumaxe
04-05-2009, 07:39 AM
I change brakes on my 2003 accord V6 last month and went all out. I bought F/R slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Here is my problem, the rear brakes were a pain in the ass to get in fronts were cake the rears I had to basically put the pads on the calipers and drop the in. I noticed the drivers side rear brake was catching a little and the wheel itself would be warmer than the others. Now to the current issue, when I turn right I am hearing a clunking noise and little bit of squeal / grind. any suggestions? what should I check for? I am at work now so I am going to have to deal with this crap later tonight.

somick
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM
You apparently have rear disks?

Remove the pads and make sure your caliper freely slide on the slide pins. The pins might be rusted or worn. If the caliper sticks, lubricate it with a high temperature grease.

Good luck,
Sam

jeffcoslacker
04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know how newer Accord rear disc brakes work exactly.

Does it have the e-brake tie-in with a cable and rotating piston, or does it use a small drum brake inside the rotor hat?

Are the pads hung from pins, or do they have tabs that locate them in the caliper?

Lotta problems can cause this...but I have to know which setup we're dealing with.

Any shims? Sometimes PITA rear caliper mounting with a short brake hose can cause you to inadvertently dislocate the shims when sliding it back down on the rotor...the tabs that hold the shims in place get crushed and act like a spring, pushing that pad into contact with the rotor...

Add your comment to this topic!