Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

strut bearing

dksob81
04-04-2009, 08:11 AM
03 VW Jetta - how do you check for excessive play in the strut bearings?

Joe

Franco2112
04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Ultimately strut removal, but you may hear thumping noise riding over bumps. This is a sign that your bearings are worn. I got 60,000 out of my 2000.

dksob81
04-04-2009, 03:37 PM
well i haven't heard any thumping when i test drove it, but when i put a prybar under the tire and lift it I get alot of movement of the strut and you can see it moving up in the engine compartment, just about every VW I get in the shop does this wel I can remember aout 3 of them that i checked and I talked to another shop and they said it is normal, so i searched online and found a few post mentioned raising the vehicle and pushing up on the wheel if there is movement the strut bearing is bad. So who is right, I know this is pretty common because I have sen it on a few VW in the apst but was told it was normal so never thought anything of it - I just want to be sure one way othe other.

Franco2112
04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
It's designed to move with the strut. If no noise heard then the bearing is still within limits. When it's worn out you will know it. A lot of strut movement, with noise over bumps. Also tire wear will be noticed. This is my experience.

Add your comment to this topic!