96 tahoe check engine /ignition switch???

mm0142
04-03-2009, 04:50 PM
ok i got check engine codes p1860 p1864 p1866.
i cleaned the battery cables and the light went off it started about 4 times without coming on and came back on again
i can feel the transmission going into saftey mode .
ok i saw to check the transmission fuse at the dash i did a check with a test light and there is no power to it with the engine running .
would this mean that i am going to have to replace the ignition switch
or could it stillbethe transmission solenoids. thank you everyone i need to fix this bad i have to drive this everyday

777stickman
04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome to AF. Power to the TRANS fuse #20 10a comes directly from one of five contacts in the ign sw. This contact is dedicated to the TRANS fuse only. Power to the TRANS fuse should be available with the ign sw in the OFF, RUN & START positions. If the TRANS fuse is not getting power this most likely will cause the trouble you are having. The wire from the ign sw to the TRANS fuse is white. Also make sure you're checking the correct fuse, #20. The numbers in the I/P fuse block can be confusing.

mm0142
04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
thkas yea its not getting any power to it . will i have to replace the ignition switch to fix it ill get one but just dontr want to pay $200 for something i dont need if there is a way to just fix it

777stickman
04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I do not believe the ign sw is a repairable item, only replaceable.

Also looking at my '98 service manual schematics (your '96 may be different) the TRANS fuse also powers the speedo, tach and shift selector light. So check those items for working also.

So, from your post and reply I would say 80% ign sw & 20% wiring problem. As to wiring you may have a broken wire in the column from the ign sw. Something to look for when you get it opened up.

Jeremy-WI
04-04-2009, 06:01 AM
the wire from the ign switch to the trans fuse on some 96's may be pink with a white stripe

mm0142
04-04-2009, 08:03 AM
ok the tach speedo etc all work right now just keeps giving me the 3 codes i just wanted to make sure tha it is probably the ignition switch before i went and bought one to fix the problem i found some new shipped for $45 up to $118 on ebay so its not as high as i thought now my ? is is would the $45 one be ok to use or should i go with the one $118 both say direct repacement for the gm part number

Add your comment to this topic!