Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Buick Regal Airbag Module Dilema

Scott H.
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I recently found out that the Airbag module on the passenger side of my 1999 Buick Regal was fried from moisture. The dealership wants $1050.00 to repair it. I certainly want this fixed but am unable to pay for it for about 2 weeks. I really need to drive my car to work (approx 7 miles), but I am scared to death of the possibility of accidental deployment of the airbag without an accident. Especially after researching the effects of airbag deployment. That's some scary Sh*t!

The tech, "off the record", suggested unplugging the fuse and that would cut any power to the airbags. Another tech from another source said the same, but also unhooking the battery for like 20-30 minutes so that the back up power capacitor would be drained of any power.

I want to take this all in account, but can anybody verify whether or not this will prevent deployment of any kind, including random deployment?

Thanks!

BNaylor
04-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Go with both and you will be OK.

Scott H.
04-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Thank you very much. That eases up the stress a little. Now I just gotta rustle up some extra cash to fix it.

dugan50
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
BNaylor is correct, but be careful. These systems can still deploy without any good reason due to moisture contamination. Check out this blog we did last year on an investigation exactly like your situation.
http://blog.airbagsolutions.com/archive/2007/12/01/the-hazards-of-liquids-and-vehicles.aspx

To be perfectly safe, I would disconnect each airbag at the bag itself, in the dash and in the steering wheel. Then I would know nothing will deploy them.
Good luck
http://www.airbagsolutions.com

Scott H.
04-08-2009, 08:42 AM
So you are saying that despite the fuse being removed & the back-up power source been drained that the airbags can still accidentally deploy???:frown:

dugan50
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Scott:
I'm saying, even static electricity can set off an airbag. If there is another power source shorted by the water and/or corroded circuits, yes, the airbags could deploy. Rotted out electronics are nothing to depend on. If you disconnect the airbags themselves, then you have defeated the system effectively. (make sure you do this with the vehicle powered down or YOU could set them off )

Add your comment to this topic!