1999 ford ranger hard to shift out of park

cam 540
04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
I have a 1999 Ford Ranger ext. cab 4x4 4.0 v6 automatic with about 80,000 miles on it and I'm having problems with the shifter lever pulling it down out of park to any gear the shifter is very hard to move. I'am wandering if it needs a new cable or if the cable needs to be lubercated. Has anyone had this problem before and if it needs a new cable how big of a job is it to change?

Airjer_
04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Disconeect the cable from the transmission, if its still stiff disconnect from the shift lever. If the shift lever moves easier after disconnecting from the trans than its not the cable. If it moves free after removing from the shift lever than it is the cable. If its still stiff after removing from the shift lever its not the cable.

Likely it is the cable. There not that difficult to replace.

cam 540
04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
airjer thanks for the info i'am going to try that. What do you think about the shift interlock? The reason why i ask is the when i put it back in park sometimes its not engaging all the way and the truck won't start till i move it in and out of park. Or could this still be the cable.

Airjer_
04-02-2009, 12:32 PM
The shift interlock only restricts the movement of the lever from the park position. Once its out of park there should be no problem moving it through the gears if it is difficult to move through all the gears (really stiff) than the cable is still th suspect. If it is difficult to get out of park only than the interlock would be a possibility. If this is the case than when it sticks in park make sure that the brake lights are on with the brake pedal depressed. No brake lights and no shift lever movement out of park usually means the brake switch is going bad.

Add your comment to this topic!