I want to buy a 'Green' car and...

jutsuri
04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
A friend of mine told me that Hybdrids are supposed to be worse for the environment than Hummers because of the nickle in their batteries. Has anyone else heard this? I am planning on buying a new car this year and I wanted to get a green car. I see a lot of little electric cars around, but I need a car that can fit at least two people and a dog, and has a large enough trunk to fit several large bags of mulch or soil, because I'm a gardener.

Any suggestions? Or comments on the Hybrid battery thing?

Thanks!

'97ventureowner
04-03-2009, 08:23 AM
I would not worry about it. These batteries are designed to last the life of the vehicle (estimated to be between 150,000 to 200,000 miles.) Most are warrantied by the manufacturer for at least 8 to 10 years. There are also recycling programs in place to recycle the spent batteries and some manufacturers , like Toyota, even have a "reward fee" of $200 on each battery to ensure they get properly recycled.

james68f100
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
get a prius hybrid

wafrederick
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
An oil change on a Hybrid is way differant.My Uncle Steve and Aunt Jackie have a Ford Escape Hybrid.To do the oil change it is to put cones around the vehicle on Jackstands and you have to wear a special pair of gloves.Plus you do not use convential tools on a Hybrid,have to be insulated

oldblu65
04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
The " average Joe " should be very cautious about working on any hybrid vehicle . The electrical systems are very potent and dangerous , especially to an untrained individual . I would recommend getting a Toyota Corolla . This car will get mileage very close to the actual ( not manufacturers quoted ) fuel economy of the hybrid , without all the other " baggage " that the hybrid will bring to the table . No , I am not a Toyota salesman nor do I own one ( or any other import ) . Just my $ 0.02 !

wrenchboss26
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
If you are looking at the total green impact of the cars life from construction to end of life failure buy a subaru built in indiana. they get good mileage, don't have to be shipped from japan, and the plant recycles everthing. read about it here. http://www.fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/environment/recycling/news.php?q=e1affadd4e10c74cb695af5b76d45996

as far as hybrids go, just google nickel smelting pollution, and you will learn all you need to know. who cares how green a car runs, if the manufacturing isn't

dawe
04-24-2009, 03:16 AM
get a buy hybrit..you must thing posterity..

and we need the fresh air :)

Add your comment to this topic!