Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

F.Y.I. stalling, stumbling & not starting

cruisn8ball
03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Howdy. (93 3.1) The van would start normal but as soon as it warmed up, and the rpm's dropped ,it would start stumpling (missing?). Give it some gas it would stumble then catch up and run fine. Then when decelerating to idle, it might run rough or stall. It did this for a week or so. Then I drove it about 30 miles and shut it off wouldn't start. It would run with starting fluid so spark and timing good, just no fuel. I checked out all the treads on here and started with the simple things first. I changed the filter cause it looked rusty and crusty. It started right up. Same problem at idle but still would run mostly. Drove about 30 miles again. Same thing as before. I checked the pvc valve, no rattle and the hose was hard as a rock.
When changing the hose for the pvc I noticed two vacum lines on the back of the throttle body broke and or cracked beyond use. Replaced these two pieces of rubber line and the pvc and hose. MAN what a difference. Fired right up and no rough idle. Throttle response was right now. Thought I had it fixed. Drove about 30 miles, guess what?!! Didn't start. The tow truck driver said his mom's did the same thing and it was the fuel pump. I always thought either they worked or didn't. Anyway, I changed the pump, easiest one I have ever changed. Starts and runs better than before and it will still start again after 30 miles.LOL. One thing though, if you live in the rust belt, when you order the pump order the locking ring to. They don't cost much and if you chew yours up trying to get it off, you already have it to finish. My II cents worth. Thanx

LMP
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Excellent report...these kind of symptoms have been reported quite often here and in the Transport forum, and probably other GM products. All those involved with fuel pump problems must remember the 3.1 pump is not same as 3.8 /3.4, with different part numbers, the former being low pressure around 12-14 psi for Throttle Body injectors, and the latter is high pressure (42-45 psi) for distributed injectors...both will match same fuel tank, though.

Add your comment to this topic!